Breast n formula?

I talked to the ppl that I get wic from they said it would be fine but I wanted others opinions. I know breast feeding is better for the baby but what if I breast feed in the morning n then at night b4 he goes to bed? And him have formula during the day, do you think this would be okay?

mommie_to_be08

Asked by mommie_to_be08 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I completely bottle fed my baby because i was unable to breastfeed. My baby is doing fine and thriving at 3 months. I think it will be fine if you do both. There is nothing wrong with supplementing with formula, and that way you will be able to keep your wic assistance. You may have trouble finding a foumula though. My daughter couldn't take anything except enfamil nutrimigen (the most expensive kind), and i don't qualify for wic and i could really use the help sometimes. But if you have any concerns call your pedi and ask them if they think it is okay.
    You are probably going to get a lot of mean remarks from people about not breastfeeding exclusively. Just ignore them. It is your baby you will do what is best for them.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 2:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Breast is best, period. Formula is a second rate food source, which should only be used when a mother is incapable of breast feeding.

I'd really reccomend that you get in touch with someone at the La Leche League, and they will be able to help you with questions about breastfeeding, etc.

The benefit of breast feeding far outweighs the inconvenience.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 2:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I think breastfeeding OR formula is ok. Of course there are those moms who will say breastfeeding is the only way to go and is the healthiest. Yea, it might be but I NEVER breast fed my 3 boys and you couldn't ask for healthier kids.
    If you want to breastfeed in the morning and at night, then why not just pump and give him a bottle (with breast milk) during the day? I'm not sure how he would like the difference in the milk? He may want one or the other but not both.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i would think that if you tried that you would dry up.. I'm a breast feeder of 5 month now.. planned to for 6 month but after the enjoyment and convenience of it i'm not stopping there.. i honestly think breast feeding at night is easier then a bottle also.. he takes alot longer to eat from a bottle..
    country_mystyle

Answer by country_mystyle at 2:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree, supplementing can sometimes lead to supply problems.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 3:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yea....thank you guys for answering n not bashing..I thought bout that when I wrote it nothing against the ppl that have answered me (you didnt do this) but lately there has been alot of rude bashing going on!
    mommie_to_be08

Answer by mommie_to_be08 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Do what you feel is best. I started doing both on Sunday. She is doing absolutely fine. She does not have nipple confusion and seems more satisfied.... and I am getting a little more sleep at night. My doctor told me that it was a good thing that I was doing both and its completely fine. Like everyone says... milk is supply and demand... if you nurse three times a day... then thats the milk your body will make! If you can, pump during the day and that will keep your supply going!
    SarahJoy13

Answer by SarahJoy13 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• If you do both, it decreases your chances of breastfeeding sucessfully. I did have to supplement with formula sometimes when I couldn't pump enough at work to keep up with baby's demand at daycare. So it can be done if you have to, and some breastmilk is better than no breastmilk. But if you don't have to, don't do it. Breastmilk is better for your baby, breastfeed exclusively for as long as you can.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I wouldn't do that. Breast is Best.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2008