What are some good meals I can prepare and put in the freezer...like casseroles...

Yeah..I've hit the nesting stage of my pregnancy. Determined to have everything in order, prepared,together and made easy as possible for when we bring home our newest born :)

I was thinking one way to have things go smoothly would be for me to prepare some meals to freeze for later use and just pop in the oven.

So far, I've got homemade baked mac n cheese and homemade lasagna...
what else do you think would be good?

Recipes are welcome!
Thankyou :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 7:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Chili, homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs, meatloaf, black bean quesadillas-you can either make the bean mixture and freeze or make the actual quesadillas and freeze. Let's see...homemade pizzas, potpies, carnitas, pulled pork for sandwiches.

You can also make a bunch of breakfasts. Quiche, french toast, pancakes, egg mcmuffins, breakfast burritos- be sure not to use potatoes though.

When I had my third baby my family made a bunch of meals for me instead of having a baby shower with gifts. That food, plus what I put away before hand was enough food for 8 weeks of no cooking. WOOWOOT! I still had to make a sandwich for lunch, or eat left overs from the night before, but it was wonderful to not have to worry about cooking.

If you want any recipes for these things, let me know in a pm.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• enchiladas! just don't bake anything, keep it in the stage before you do the final bake. Then it won't taste reheated.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I love this recipe.. .its filling, its very healthy, and its freezable :)
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=223170
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 7:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Send me a message; I have a few recipes that freeze well.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Quick and easy, keeping with the Italian theme... take frozen stuffed shells and layer them in a casserole dish. Cover with fresh organic sauce and mozzarella. They should freeze well. Also make some single patties of turkey burgers and freeze them individually. You will SO appreciate them (unless your a veg? Apologies if you are... make them black bean!)
    SpiritOfAutism

Answer by SpiritOfAutism at 7:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'm planning on making a chicken pot pie (yummy!) I would do everything except put it in the oven and then freeze it. I'm looking for a recipe that I like, I usually make up my own everytime, but i don't know if I could give instructions well enough lol. This one looks good, except I also always add boiled and diced potatoes http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Pot-Pie-II/Detail.aspx

I also am a huge fan of baked spaghetti I use this recipe http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Spaghetti/Detail.aspx except I use 2 jars of sauce, a green pepper, garlic, and ricotta instead of cottage cheese.

Another idea would be soup in a bag if you have a crockpot. I'd cut up lots of fresh veggies and put them in a bag and then some meat and put it in a bag and have your seasoning added to the meat then all you need to do is dump the bags in the crock pot and add some broth and let it stew all day. ( I probably wouldn't freeze potatoes though
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Enchilada's is a great idea! You could also cut up stuff for stir-fry and fajitas and even pour your seasoning in the bag then all you have to do is throw them in a skillet and fry them up. And your rice can be easy by getting instant rice that can cook while you're frying.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• you might also check out http://www.30mealsinoneday.com/recipes.php they have some good looking meals on there that I plan on trying.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• WE did homemade calzones once. We've also frozen tater tot casserole and that turned out well. Also simply things like dicing up veggies and freezing them for stir fry, or other things like that. Even making extra sauce for things like spaghetti can help.

When I was younger my mom used to cook up ground beef and separate into bags. It may not be a frozen meal, but having something that you can put together easily saves you time and it's less stress!

You can line your pans with aluminum foil and then add your casserole or dish, freeze it- and in a few hours you can have your pan back, plus a perfectly frozen casserole that fits your pan perfectly.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:29 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• WOW! DIdnt expect so many great ideas! THanks ladies! I can't wait to get started! Making a shopping list now! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010