Do I need to replace my son's carseat after an accident?

This weekend we were in an accident, thankfully no one was seriously injured. We were hit on the same side as my sons carseat. I've been told different things.....should I replace his carseat even if his looks ok?

Asked by Denise859 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes. Even when you can't see any damage, there is still probably damage inside and the straps have been stretched.

Most insurance companies will replace a car seat without a deductable so be sure to ask yours.

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• You should go ahead and replace it. Even though there might not be obvious damage, there could be areas of stress that may not be noticeable, and the seat may not be effective if you were to have another accident.

Answer by ch2002 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Natinal Transportation and Safety Board suggests ALL child car seat be replaced after car accidents. The same is true for bike helmets. If there is an accident and the helmet hits the ground with any force or height. replace tp be safe. There can be micro crackls that weaken them and negate their safety

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Yes it needs to be replaced. Go to the fire department, they can give you one, or you will pay like $20 for a good one.

Answer by lynn63042 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Yes you should replace your childs carseat. Most car insurance carriers will reinbursts you the money as long as you send them the receipt of the new car seat. So I would contact your car insurance carrier

Answer by maddysmommy907 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• YES!

Answer by dnsdunigan at 5:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• yes

Answer by nineteen at 5:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Yes, definately. (some places even take the car seat after an accident so you can't keep it).

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 5:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Yes - better to be safe than sorry.

Answer by elwalters77 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Check your warranty on the car seat, unfortunatly most car seat manufacturers warranty voids after an accident...and some car insurance policy won't hold safe policies on the car seat after an accident.

Answer by AbbysMom059 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 2, 2008