11 month old twins. BITING. HELPPP

one of my twins its a huge huge biter. he bites when hes happy, he bites when hes mad, sad, frustrated etc.

its pretty bad he is constantly crawling after his brother trying to bite him.

I always put my my finger on his lips and say no bites

if you have experience with this, what did you do? what should i do? give me some hope here lol

thanks!

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 7:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your doing all i ever did. no bites! and eventually it sunk in. if it gets real bad you could ask the pediatrician....if he were older i would say bite back(not hard or anything) but hes a baby and that wont work. my 15 monther responded well to the no bites thing.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I know many people wont' agree with me on this, but I bit back. It works becasue you can show them that it hurts when they bite. My DD didn't bite again after I bit her back. Daddy had to bite her too. She is now 25 mos and hasn't attempted to bite anyone since she was 10 mos old. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would yell "Ouch!!" really loudly, loud enough to startle my DD, and then I would immediately tell her no biting and put her down and walk away. I would make a point of kind of ignoring her for a moment, just suddenly being really busy folding laundry or rinsing a dish, etc for a minute or two and she always came and wanted my attention. The idea was to teach her that I don't like being bit and that she will not get my attention if she bites me. It worked for her, and her biting phase lasted a couple of weeks at most. Maybe when you see your son go after his brother or bite him you can yell Ouch for your son and then immediately remove the biter from the situation- even to his crib or a time out spot for just one minute could work to teach him the biting has a negative consequence for him. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Have to be firm in the no biting..keep telling him over and over. I would also do what MaryMW suggested.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I worked in a child care with children ages 18mo-36mo and when we had a biting issue it was typically a communication problem. Teach both children a better way to communicate there needs. I.E sign language, pointing,, photo communication or talking (if there ready).Also don't forget this might all be for attention. So,when one child bites the other, ignore the child who bit and only pay attention to the injured child and/or really increase the positive attention you give each child. Catching the good--- thank you for reading that book quietly, Mommy loves when you...... Try for 24 hour doing nothing but catching the good and see if the biting decrease. Also pay attention to if the child(ren) bite more frequently if your SO is home, out in public if other children are over etc.. this will help you proof it is an attention thing or not.

lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2010