Have you ever had to fight your toddler to nap?

I have never had this problem before, but I spent over two hours trying to convince my 2 yr old daughter to take a nap. It was her normal napping time, but she was being horrible! Tantrums, defiance, even loud, dramatic sobs. After disciplining her twice, I rocked her for a good 30 mins until she passed out. She has NEVER missed a nap. What's up?

MmaMaMa1203

Asked by MmaMaMa1203 at 7:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe she is ready to give up her nap. I think that was about the time my son gave him his nap.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• that's when my son decided he was done napping...after 2 weeks of fighting him I gave in
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i would just give up..not everyday my kids wanted to take a nap..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 8:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have a 2.5-year-old and she has given me days of playing in her bed for an hour until she fell asleep, but she definitely still needs her afternoon nap or she's pitiful the rest of the day.

She could just be testing you to see what you will and won't make her do. Around 2-years-old is when kids start pushing their boundaries to see if their parents are going to buckle.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 8:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• This is the age my kids gave up their nap. Maybe she is heading that way.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• oh NO. Don't tell me that she is giving up her nap you guys! LOL. That could make for a rough bedtime, and an insane mama. I need the break too! lol.
    MmaMaMa1203

Comment by MmaMaMa1203 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I put mine in her bed at the same time everyday. If may take her up to an hour to pass out but I have to have that break. I get her up no later than 4 or she won't go to bed on time. I wish you luck but when the screaming starts don't cave or it will get worse. Good luck but make sure you try to keep some quiet down time for the both of you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• That is exactly what my son did when he was giving up his naps. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Maybe switch to a quiet time instead? Would she stay in her room and play quietly? OR play quietly near you. We switched to a quiet time. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2010