Milk supply drying up?

We just moved our 8 month old son to the crib about 3 weeks ago. He had been nursing through all his naps and pretty much all night up until then. Now he nurses 4 times a day only about 30 min (or less) each time (a little longer during his morning nap). He also is eating a lot of solid food and filling up there so he isn't much interested in nursing a lot during the day (just when he's sleepy), he'd rather play. I've noticed that I can now go up to 10 hours without nursing (he sleeps 12) without getting uncomfortable and I seem a lot smaller and flatter than I once was...am I losing my milk? I was hoping to be able to nurse at least a year but I'm worried that at this rate I'll run out of milk before then. Thanks!

mrscat206

Asked by mrscat206 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with danyelle3. It's supply and demand. As long as he is nursing you will keep producing milk. But he's not demanding as much right now, so you're not gonna produce as much. Some babies lose interest in nursing all together when they start eating solid food at all three meals. He may decide to nurse more in a week or two and then your supply will go back up.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• your body will tell you when its done feeding.. sometimes your body will decide befor eyou or your child does...
    SLVN_Jen

Answer by SLVN_Jen at 2:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• the less you nurse the les milk your body will produce. its a supply and demand thing lol. If you nurse more or pump you should gradually increase your supply......however most women find this very hard to do. Your body is hard to fool!
    danyelle3

Answer by danyelle3 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2008