How much time is appropriate for a child to be online, per day?

lil_mama2499

Asked by lil_mama2499 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• None. There is no valid reason for a child to be online. Children should be outdoors playing & using their imagination.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Wow, LOL

Mine is on whenever he wants. He is 14 and has only had a computer in the house since March, so, I haven't dealt with it with a younger kid. I believe online time is actual a good thing for them in doses. As long as they have outside and other time too and if they do not get crazy absorbed or have to be coerced into doing other things.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My children aren't allowed online til after all homework is done UNLESS the homework is to be done on the computer. Beyond that, they spend no more than an hour online. They just don't need that much time online. We also monitor their time and where they are going online, who they are talking to, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree that none is a good answer LOL but my son is in 2nd grade in 2 weeks and they've been going on secure websites in school since kindergarten which still bothers me but I know if I deny him this, he won't have the skills and accuracy to be able to navigate around like everyone else in his grade. I don't let him online at home. I have programs I have bought for him to increase his skills like typing and hand-eye coordination but other than that he isn't allowed online at my house. At his father's he goes on alot apparently which bothers me still because no one is dictating what he can and cannot do there.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My daughter is only 3 but we will cross that when she gets older. there will only be internet time if I am home and can keep a good eye on her while she is online. I will also have a filter on the computer
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Depends on age and what they're doing. I let my 11 year old online to watch cartoons and Netflix movies because we only have basic cable. He plays freebie games too, but --brace yourself--we haven't gotten him a console game system yet! After an hour I prod him off the computer and tell him to play with his Legos, do a chore, or take the dog for a walk.

Bottom line, kids should have plenty of time to play with real toys, get fresh air and interact with real people. Computers are ok in moderation.
    stldenise

Answer by stldenise at 12:47 AM on Aug. 26, 2010