Needs some advice.. has 2 toddlers at home a 1 yr old and a 2 yr old.

They are always fighting, always making messes.. and I dont mean a little bit of toys I mean throwing there food across the room onto my wall or couch!! The 2 yr old is always bullying the 1 yr old and back talking me and the 1 yr old is always crying.. Someone please HELP!!

AshBalderrama

Asked by AshBalderrama at 2:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is normal. My kids are always fighting and they are 2 1/2 years apart. Sometimes you just have to put them in time out or put in a movie they both like and get some mommy time.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Ahhhh.... memories! lol.... mine are 19 months apart. now 10 and 11. I used to lock them in their rooms for timeouts because they just wouldn't listen. Not for long.... just to seperate them until they settled down. The only advice I can offer is BE CONSISTENT!! There is nothing more worthless than empty threats. One day I walked in the living room to find my 3 yr old with a bottle of chocolate syrup just flinging it all over the place. It was on the walls, the furniture, the carpet, him, and his brother. I put them in their rooms and lost it! I bawled my eyes out while I scrubbed everything. You'll be happy to know that they are now well behaved. Well... for the most part. They have their moments. Good luck!!!!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have a 2 and 3 year old. Your 2 year old is old enough to start cleaning up their messes and getting time outs for being mean to the baby.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My kids are 14 months apart... They are the same way but it's very simple... IF you make a mess you clean it up (or at least help) If you hurt someone you have to sit in TimeOut and then tell them you are sorry...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have a 2 year old and a baby about to turn 1... rough ages. I have recently started putting my 2 year old in short time-outs for pushing or hitting her sister and I make her tell her she's sorry and make sure she understands that it hurts her. It works for us because lately when she accidentally knocks her over she will tell her she's sorry without being asked to. I think at this age you just have to watch them carefully and try to stop conflicts before they begin. My kids are more destructive when they're bored or tired...
    Kerri_05

Answer by Kerri_05 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My middle children are 11 months apart. Life is tough when they are close, but it does get some what better. I found that if I separated them for short periods of time, that made a difference. As for the messes, we are still battling those--but we have 4 kids 6 and under. Some things that DO work for us include: making it into a race to see who eats their food first, who cleans their mess up first, etc; taking away privileges/toys; try fixing things for meals that are less likely to be messy; have them help clean up the mess; be creative--it does get frustrating and hard, but hang in there--I swear, it gets better!
    lindseywhitaker

Answer by lindseywhitaker at 4:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My son and daughter are eleven months and four days apart and they are the same way, wiht the fightng at least.  It actually has calmed down within the last few months, they were defiantely worse around the ages 2 and 1, they are 2 and 3 now.  So my advice is just to hang in there, I know it;s hard, but it will calm down.

maggieradford

Answer by maggieradford at 4:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2008