Has this ever happend to you? Closed a bank account and 2 days later a transaction goes through that was automated...and the bank goes ahead and pays it, even though the account is CLOSED and by them doing that, it reopens the account and keeps it in the negative and GROWING in the negative from an overdraft fee and extended negative fees...

And you don't know anything about it until a month later when the bank mails you a statement onthis account..which you have in writing that it was closed?
What did you do?How did you handle it? Is that even legal, what the bank did?Why wouldnt they just reject the transaction..it should have been a nonexistant account!
Hmmmm....weird.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 8:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• I had the opposite happen. We closed a bank account and moved. My husband was suppose to receive his last direct deposit check in our new account but it never came. We called the company, our new bank, our old bank and could never find any info about it. We kept trying but never had any luck. Several months later, we received a statement from our old bank that said we had money in it but our account had been inactive for several months. Turns out that the money was deposited into our old account and they had been charging a monthly fee (since we deactivated our direct deposit) so, by the time we received the statement, there was only $100 left from his paycheck! Anyways, for your situation, I would go in and talk with the bank to see if they could waiver some of the overdraft fees.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Unfortunately this happens all the time. Even though you close the account, I believe the bank has a week for it to go through the actual process of closing. Any transactions that come in during that time affect the account. Why they do this, God only knows!
    Navy_Momma

Answer by Navy_Momma at 8:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'm not sure, but we had some credit cards closed, and they said that if you have any reoccuring charges that come out automatically that you've set up with a company or whatever month to month or whenever, that they will hold you responsible for NOT cancelling those transactions that are set up for that particular credit card. I could imagine with your bank account it would be the same thing...
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 8:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Wow, that would be awful.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 8:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• How is this legal?
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 8:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I actually have had that happen, it was our truck note for almost 700 dollars that went through and not only did we close the account but we also moved so it was several months before we knew anything about it when we finally got something in at the new address.
    bshelly

Answer by bshelly at 8:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It depends, If your closed your account and didn't let everything you charge on your card go out then they will charge the account cause you purchased something and it went out late. Its not illegal they are just paying for what was in your account. But you can go in and talk to a manager and ask about it maybe they can find something out and help you GL
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree with JeremysMom. Go and talk to the bank manager and explain what happened. Most of the time they are pretty nice about things like that.

I hope this gets switched around for you soon.
    GOOD LUCK
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:03 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• yes and we went and talked to our manager he took care of it and cleared it out cause we closed the account due to somne fraudlent charges going into the account
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 8:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2010