Advice for a baby who will only sleep in his carseat?

My 4 and a half month old has slept in his carseat at night for the last 2 months. He won't sleep anywhere else for long periods at night unless of course its our bed. Any suggestions for getting him into the crib? I feel that he's getting too big to sleep in his carseat.

FACMom

Asked by FACMom at 2:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometimes tough love helps... put him in his crib and let him cry himself to sleep... give a shirt or something that smells like you may help comfort him, or take out the padding in his car seat and lay him in it... may help ease the transition.. try these adn see how ti works for you
    SLVN_Jen

Answer by SLVN_Jen at 2:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I guess I should have mentioned that I have tried to cry it out method and it hasn't worked. He just gets really worked up and after an hour I have to nurse him to calm him down and end up putting him back in the carseat in order to avoid getting him so upset again. I was going in every 5 minutes or so to calm him down then letting him cry again after I left the room- Maybe he's not ready?
    FACMom

Answer by FACMom at 3:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• swing?
    Anonymous

• Keep trying to get him out of the car seat. First, the longer you wait, the harder it's going to be. Second, consistent sleeping in semi-upright position can cause muscular problems that will need to be corrected - nothing scary & major, but still something to be addressed. My daughter was very similar to your son. She ended up being treated for Wry Neck, a condition where the muscles on one side of the neck tighten. The head then tips to that side - the child is unable to hold his/her head up straight. It's corrected with stretching exercises, including how you hold him, feed him, etc to help stretch the shortened neck muscles. It took us about 8 months to see results. Keep working with him. Try things like the "no cry sleep solution." Try different sleep positions. Try laying him in the crib and rubbing his belly until he falls sleep. He'll get there.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Keep him up until he can't stay awake any longer then put him in the crib. If that doesn't work, try letting him fall asleep with you in a bed then lay him in the crib.. I have found out that you need to let them sleep for 15 to 20 minutes before trying to move them or they will wake up. My son would not sleep anwhere but a swing for the first 6 months. One day he just decided he didn't want to sleep there anymore and slept all night in his crib!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• when he falls asleep in his carseat move it to his bedroom so when he wakes up - he sees his room - this will get him to realise that its a safe room to fall asleep in
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 4:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• When he falls asleep in his carseat set it in his crib. That way when he wakes up he sees he is in his crib. After a few nights he should get used to it. After that try to ease the transition by laying him in bed on top of the padding from his carseat. After a few nights of that just lay him in bed. Transition him slowly and there will be no need to let him CIO.
    pookie_1228

Answer by pookie_1228 at 5:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My son would only sleep this way for months too, we got a swing and he slept in that for another 2 months, then his colic went away and he slept anywhere.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• A great new product called the magic sleepsuit is designed to provide the comfort and coziness that babies such as yours crave. check it out at www.magicsleepsuit.com
    Anonymous