My DD screams when u put her to bed!!!help!

every time we put her down for bed or even a nap my DD just screams bloody murder loud high pitched scream!she is 6 months old! we have done everything! she doesnt want the bottle, to be held, to be in her swing,in her car seat, she doesnt want to play nothing! she was teething so i put the gel on i do the teething tablets. i burp her after all her feedings, i do the gas drops as a last resort and that still doesnt work! we just have to let her scream for about 15min then she will give up and go to sleep! is there anything else we can do? she just started this the last week. we have had to drive her around the block a few times until she is asleep and keep her in the carseat until she wakes up for her 2am feeding then she will go in the crib. please help i feel like such a bad mom! thanks!

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's in a major growth spurt right now I would NOT cut out that night feeding. Remember when you were pregnant and hungry at odd times? same thing! This is also a time of learning major milestones (has she learned something new lately?) This can leave the brain overwired just like you feel before a big job interview, or vacation, etc.

Teething pain at night and lying down is excrutiating. IF you've never had braces you may not understand how it throbs and aches. Imagine on top of teething pain you are hungry too and then you are left to cry yourself exhausted for 15 minutes.

It's not anything you've DONE and it isn't anything you can do except be patient, give love, give affection, and wait it out. Have empathy.

I wouldn't do the orajel anymore. It can make teething pain worse and it numbs everything BUT where the pain is. Have you put any in your own mouth? It can burn sometimes.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• try some music.. it calms them down
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 8:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• First..youre NOT a bad mom..don't feel that way. We all go through it and we all have our moments where we feel like we have no idea what to do, how to fix it.
    You say she's teething.Have you tried tylenol or motrin before bed? And if she's only crying 15 minutes and then falling asleep, hey...thats really not bad..over time she will stop and just lay down for you.Maybe try laying her down a little sooner, she may b eover tired when youre laying her down.
    Also, I would really try to cut that 2 a.m. feeding out. She doesnt need it at this age. I went through the same thing with my daughter. When she would wake up in the middle of the night, I had to let her cry for a little and then she would go back to sleep. Eventually she started just sleeping through the night and ate in the morning.
    Hope this helps!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• your not a bad mom promise if you have a little bit of whisky and i know that some people dont agree with this but trust me it works dip your finger in and wipe it on the rim and then rub your finger on her gums it will soothe the pain my son did that with his first tooth also try maybe rocking her to sleep or singing to her might be good sometimes it helps if that doesnt work then you are gonna have to let her scream for a few mins i know it hurts but it might be the only way if these things dont work my son cant take the gel he gets sick from it so i know that this was the only way to get him to stop at first.
    mommy2b924

Answer by mommy2b924 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Try music...do you have a routine?
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• We cosleep and the other night my 11mo lost her mind. She was tired but couldn't sleep but clearly wanted to. She cried and got hysterical. She wanted to nurse but her hysterics were making her latch weird and it hurt me so I had to wait until she calmed down. It was a downward spiral.

It wasn't until just now that I realized that she's recently learned how to blow kisses and has been practicing putting things into containers. Her brain was likely just on overdrive. I held her, stroked her, while she screetched. She finally calmed down, latched on, sighed, and went to sleep with out me forcing it.

Yes, it was frustrating. But babies don't cry for no reason. Even if I couldn't do anything to fix it or didn't realize the cause at the time I did what I could to give that reassurance.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You expect to put your baby in the crib at what you think is nap or bed time and the baby will go to sleep? The baby has done this up until now? I'm used to breastfed babies that nurse to sleep and then nap in your arms or co-sleep.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:31 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i got an amber teething necklace from inspired by finn online & it works wonders....but my daughter hated her bed from the beginning...we co sleep & we all get plentty of sleep!
    jess311

Answer by jess311 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i didnt read all the replies/answers but curious?.....did you have her in your bed initially?......weaning kids from our bed to theirs is hard and they always want to be with you until they actually realize you arent going to put them there......i took care of a a little girl who would watch a kiddie movie and then we would put her in her bed but she started climbing in after awhile by herself....dont feel too bad it happens to most of us.....chin up and all the best
    mstropics

Answer by mstropics at 1:27 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• let her cry it out or do all that again and again, she'll get used to it though. you're not a bad mom, her cries are doing what they are supposed to.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2010