Dandruff/Cradle cap - how to get rid of?

So I've noticed since Luke's haircut that he has a lot of dandruff - white and yellowish- on the top of his head. He may have had this a long time and I never noticed because his hair was longer, but now it is more noticable.

What do I do about it? First is it an issue that I need to worry about? Second do you treat dandruff the same as cradle cap - baby oil and then shampoo (that's what my mom taught me when he was younger)? Thirdly is there a baby dandruff shampoo I should be using on him?

Thanks for all answers moms!!

amw529

Asked by amw529 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is cradle cap. Treat the same.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Not an issue, just follow mom's instructions, there is a cradle cap shampoo...they sell it at walmart and target in the baby section.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Just don't pick it off because the hair can come off with it and he'll have bald spots.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• When my youngest got his first haircut I noticed that too. I just used some head and shoulders on his scalp three times and it cleared up. I also gently scraped off any patches that I found with my fingernail. Just be careful not to scrape too hard.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• With my son I used dandruff shampoo, then there is cradle cap lotion and then use a baby brush and if that does not work you can also try baby oil then the brush then the shampoo. I did both ways depending on how bad it was, it was the second option.

mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 8:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• supposedly cradle crap as I call it goes away within the first year. 2 of my 3 sons have it still. One is 5 and the other is 17 months. I talked to my pediatrician about it and he suggested doing a dandruff shampoo 1-2 times a week while shampooing normally the rest of the time. Baby's skin can be sensitive so you don't want to do it too much.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 9:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have to still use head and shoulders for my son - he is almost 3 but it kept coming back but it works FAst and great!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Cradle cap. WIth my daughter I got a soft bristled baby brush and would work her baby shampoo through her head and gently massage it and it got rid of it. It took a few times but just be gentle and give baby a little head massage at bath time. BTW my daughters was finally gone at 13 months. She has longer hair too. I didnt notice it till I did pig tails...
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 1:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010