is it safe

My son seems to have trouble sleeping on his back and his side and when i lay him on his tummy across my lap he seems to do just fine how old should he be before he can sleep on his tummy he is almost 2 months.

shareka27

Asked by shareka27 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As soon as mine were able to roll over, they started sleeping on their tummies, even though I put them to sleep on their backs. If you are concerned about him not sleeping I would say to talk to his doctor about it.

MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• When the baby starts to roll over front to back and back to front without any problems/struggles, then its safe! Usually around 6 months of age, some roll over sooner then 6 months and some later. Depends on the child.

Good Luck Momma. :)
    ProudOhioMom

Answer by ProudOhioMom at 2:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I am sure I will get a lot of slack for my anwer but here goes-
    ALL 3 of my boys slept on their tummy. My feeling is- if God wants an angel to take home, he will take the baby whether they are on their back, their belly or their side.

Back in the day ALL babies slept on their tummy because dr.s were afraid of babies sleeping on their back for fear of spitting up and it going down into their lungs and them choking

Let the bashing begin.......lol.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• my son IS two months, and during the day, like his nap times when I can watch him, I let him sleep on his tummy...

AND he falls asleep on his back but around 4am i let him sleep next to me on my bed, on his tummy so again I can watch him.

he has been doing this for 2 weeks!

xandersmama22

Answer by xandersmama22 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• again, mommy instincts...if your tummy gets all turned up and down and you cant take it...then dont put him on his tummy
    Anonymous

• I agree Brenda- my mom lost two baby girls to SIDS.. hence my baby's middle name is Kat- Kelly & Tara for them...

Anyhow, once my little one moved to her crib from the bassinet- smooth tummy sleeping. If I rolled her over- she cried bloody murder. If your concerned make sure your babe is dressed well enough to not need a blanket, and NO bumper or toyes in the crib. There is a new study out stating if you have a fan circulating air in the babe's room, that will lower the SIDS risk.

Your baby will be fine. :)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 3:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i agree with brenda mom my baby boy been sleepin on his tummy at 2 weeks my doc says dont do that he wanted me to lay him on his back but to me that was unsafe because he always spit up i think you should do wat feels rite to you and wat your baby likes
    emomama22

Answer by emomama22 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• when they roll over on their own - but if you are letting baby sleep in your lap on their belly NBD - just have to realise that SIDS is very dangerous and they should be able to roll before you put them to bed on their tummies
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 5:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• If he can hold up his head he is fine. Just don't leave him with a lose blanket in bed. Crib bumper is fine, it is there to protect them from hitting their head on the side of the bed as well as getting an arm/leg stuck through the rails. So it is needed. You should not take the bumper out until they are big enough that they start trying to use it to climb out of the bed.
    pookie_1228

Answer by pookie_1228 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I tried to put my daughter to bed on her back but she hated it. She slept on her tummy from about 1 month and still does. My nephew is the same way. You put him on his back and he screams bloody murder. Just keep an eye on them. Both my daughter and nephew sleep on their tummy with their face burried in the mattress. I know its not the correct way for them to sleep but thats they only way that they will.
    Abby28

Answer by Abby28 at 2:38 AM on Oct. 10, 2008