Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can you report welfare fraud when somebody is working under the table?

I'm posting ANON so I won't look like a total butt head.
My friend really works the system. She has Section8, welfare, foodstamps, SSI, child support. You name it - she gets it. She has a 4 bedroom house and 4 kids ages 11 through 17. So she tells me all excited today that she's going to take a nanny job for $140/week and not report the income. This makes me sick! Use the system don't abuse it! What should I do?


Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (19)
  • 140 maybe nothing, but it still needs to be reported. Its people like her - abusing the system - that are part of the system failure!
    Look up your local state website and send an email asking to stay unnamed.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • No, she told you that because you are her friend and now you want to stab her in the back.

    Answer by mamaofficer at 9:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • Have you tried actually telling her how you feel before you backstab her? I understand if you are upset but to just run and report without talking to her about what she is doing is just wrong!

    Answer by hill2 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • you can send an email through the website usually, ask that you remain anon

    Answer by angevil53 at 9:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • Contact DHS and let them know. You shouldn't have to give your name. I don't blame you for wanting to turn it in. If people are going to get benefits they should do it legally.

    Answer by scout_mom at 9:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • musicmom08

    Answer by musicmom08 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • Hey being in THAT system she won't get anything taken away for making such a small amount of money. BECAUSE its not enough to do anything with. BUT she should be reporting what she makes so that little 5 dollar adjustment can be made and go to another needy family. So BIG deal that she'll have to buy 2 gallons of milk vs getting them all free. If you can't figure out how to do on your state website you should be able to call a toll free number somewhere.

    Answer by HTMommy at 9:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • $140-week may not be alot of money but when anyone is on public system they are required to report ANY changes in their income and its best that she report this small amount than have to pay it all back later on.



    Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • What kind of friend are you this is no money. You need to mind your business and get a little. I wish I knew who your friend I would tell her what you wanted to do. The welfare people should tell her that you are the one who ratted her out. Shut your mouth and mind your own business you jealous bitch.And crawl in a hole you rat with no cheese.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • I don't think reporting her is a good option. If she's only making $140 a week, her benefits are not going to change that much. And like someone else said, if they catch her they can make her pay all of it back.

    What she is doing is wrong, but I don't think making her pay back all those benefits is really fair either.

    Also it might be to her benefit to claim that income since the Earned income credit (EIC) is on a curve. So the more she makes, up to a point, will actually get her a larger tax refund.

    Instead of reporting her I would try to explain to her why she should report the income. I doubt she's going to get kicked off of any program for making $600 a month with 4 kids. But she might not know that.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2010