At the END of my leash!!!

I have a 1.5 year old male beagle hound mix. He was a shelter dog most of his life, and we're working on training him...one of the bigger issues is introducing him to the cats! I have 2 adult cats, male and female...the female is brave, she comes up to the top of the stairs behind the baby gate (have a 2 year old) and she sits there, waiting to make a break over to me for pettin's. BUT our dog sits and waits there to try'n chase her..I don't think he's trying to bite her, he's had a chance and didn't. WHAT can I do to make them all live happy together???

aidansmyheart

Asked by aidansmyheart at 9:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Pets

• i have a beagle bassett also a shelter dog and shes sorta the same way..shes a longer and doesnt really care much for other pets
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Well, I think he'd LOVE to know their here and use them for comfort when we're not home...if he'd just realize their not for chasing!! I think it might be the hound instinct in him, to hunt her.....I just need to know how others introduced their dogs with their cats.
    aidansmyheart

Comment by aidansmyheart (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• That is going to be a little difficult to do since he is a beagle. A hound dog, breed to chase prey... it's in his nature. They can be trained not too but it's harder if he is no longer a puppy and didn't grow up with them. Just be patient, and keep it so that they can sniff but the cats always have a way to get away from him, like hopping over the baby gate. Sooner or later he should hopefully get the idea not to do it. But don't be upset with him if he always will be. All hound/hunting dogs are like that, it's in their nature and you can't blame him for it.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I introduced my dog and cats together by rubbing them with a towel and getting them used to each other's smells. Each time it took the cats and dog about a month to get used to each other. (I've introduced different cats to my one dog and each time it takes a while for them to get used to each other.) I own a Border Collie/Beagle mix.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i heard that works..the towel thing, I also read to put the cat in a kitty carrier and let the dog sniff, etc while the cat is safe, just in case. I still have yet to try those options, I'm very busy chasing after a 2 year old and playing with him all day too. I really want things to work with our dog, he's so loving and just an all around good dog..just has had no training. He still has accidents in the house, he has separation anxiety REALLY bad..and we can't even leave him alone for more than 2 hrs in his crate, he ripped the house, couch etc apart when we left with no crate. He poops in his crate every time pretty much..I'm thinking it's the anxiety. He is strong too, he bends the bars of the crate from jamming his nose through them, trying to get out. He's a major handful but I fear that if we did take him back, he'd NEVER find a home because he's so difficult and untrained. Any other adivce LOL.
    aidansmyheart

Comment by aidansmyheart (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I heard about the cat carrier but I never did that one because it stressed the cat out and could cause the cat to never warm up to the dog because 1) cats hate cat carriers (not all but most) and do not feel safe in it. 2) you throw in these creature that is scary to them, they don't feel safe in what they are in and FREAK OUT.
    What I have done other then the towel is while crate training I kept the towel in the dog crate or somewhere where the cats sleep so their smell gets them more familiar a lot quicker.
    Also, I would put the cat in a bedroom and closed the door (I also did this with other cat to cat introduction) or the dog, and they would sniff each other through the door. The animals were both safe but could check each other out.
    And the gate, they are able to check each other out and the cat can escape if possible.
    Then just waiting and being patient and not forcing it to happen. For me it took a month or two
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2010