What are your likes and dislikes @ your kid(s) school???

mekarevell

Asked by mekarevell at 9:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in

• Elementary school:

Likes: small school, so EVERYONE knows EVERYONE. I can actually get ahold of my younger son's teacher via email and get a response. Miracle of miracles!
    Dislikes: the constant litany of fundraisers. I know, the CA school budget SUCKS. Money is tight. I would honestly rather DONATE $100 to the school and know that 100% of that will get back to the school programs than buy overpriced cookie dough, wrapping paper, and maganzines and now the school will get MAYBE 40%, if they are lucky. I get a fundraiser flyer sent home WEEKLY with something new on it.

Middle School:
    Likes: Lunch money is stored on the ID cards, so if he forgets it, I can load money into his account online! I can also check his grades online.
    Dislikes: too far away (literally across town), teachers are anonymous and unreachable (they all have websites - but most haven't been updated recently), hard to retrieve password for site
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i like that it is a small school..with 2 teachers to every class..20 students
    the principal seems to be pretty involved
    they have been recognized as a title 1 distinguished school for 7 years.

i don't like:
    that the school is surrounded by a cemetary
    the building is very old and they need improvements
    they need air conditioning in the gym...it does not work.
    they need a new playground equiptment..the playground looks as old as the builing itself.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Like: small school, close to our home (we can walk there)

Dislike: older building, expensive and not good lunches

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Like: close to home, I know the asst principal, the schools takes discipline seriously, very little trouble in the school, good teachers

Dislike: the principal is an idiot, his last math teacher wasn't a good teacher, NO air conditioner anywhere in the school but computer room, on a busy road where cars use it as a drag strip, no crossing guards.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Like: It's an 8-yr-old building, 2 minutes away from home, up to 15 students per classroom although it's a big school (900 students or so), well equipped gym, beautiful setting, good teachers, huge playground, good lunches, very involved principal, secured, 5 computers per classroom.

Dislike: No parking space, uniforms, can't use pool since April 2010 (still not fixed)

mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 9:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Like: The schools are always locked. No one can get in unless you ring the door bell. Nice teachers. Two teacher aids in every elementary class room. The school staff is welcoming and helpful. The elementary school is fenced in.

Dislike: The upper elementary school is by a big river. The upper elementary school is on a major road. No crossing guard. The lower elementary school is surrounded by a grave yard. Hardly any parking at either school.

MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 12:57 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Like: That its a small school and I love the counselor cause shes so nice.

Dislike: The principals, the very small parking lot, that we got to park 50 feet away from the building and only teachers can park close.Its not safe at all in the sense that when us parents are walking with our children theres other people reversing on the parking lot and dont watch how there driving and whos crossing "very dangerous" I alos dont like that the teacher doesn't communicate with us she just tells everything to the principal so she can complain to us. I dont like that its in a ghetto area and theres always stray dogs going in and out the building and barking at the kids.
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 1:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Like: Only 3 more years until all my kids are out of that school.

Dislikes: the principal is clueless, the teachers run the district, nepotism to the extreme, band is required, building is almost 100 yrs. old,
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:30 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Like: one of the leading G&T programs in the country
    still insist on PE, art and music programs even when they have budget issues
    teaching philosophy accounts for different learning styles
    all day kindergarten

Dislike: they had to cut bus service even though there are no sidewalks in any of the subdivisions around the school
    only 20 minutes for lunch and 15 for recess right after
    open floorplan classrooms (the kind with only 3 walls and a 4th wall made of rolling coat cabinets or whatever else the teacher can pile up to reduce noise, and no actual door they can close when other classes get too loud)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:37 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• LOVE the school except for the fact that they push Christianity and I am not religious and my children haven't been exposed to other religions to be able to make their own decisions before one is just crammed down their throats. And the school wasn't christian when they started going there. the new owner made it that way. But I adore the staff and what they do so I put up with it.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:14 AM on Aug. 26, 2010