Will putting my 3yo in underjams while we drive overnight encourage him to pee in his pants?

I don't want him to WANT to wear pull ups or underjams but we're driving down to Florida (from Michigan) and then going on a cruise where he will likely end up in bed with us each night. He rarely has accidents while he sleeps but when he's had a long day with lots of fresh air, he sleeps hard and will wet the bed once in a while. So we bought a small pack of Underjams and plan to put them on him at night while we're driving and on the cruise. I'm just worried that he'll actually want to wear them after the trip, too. Is this fear irrational?

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 9:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Travel

• I wouldn't thinkso. Just tell him they're vacation undies and you can only get them to go on a trip.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:49 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We used them when our middle child was 3 and we flew to Florida from Colorado. He never wet them. As he said "I am a big boy and I don't go in my pants anymore!" But it was good for us because we didn't have to worry about wet pants when we couldn't get him to the potty right away. He held it really well.
    A cruise sounds super fun! Have a great time!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• A little bit yes.....just tell him if he wants to continue to wear them, he can.....until the package runs out....I know this sounds gross, but I reused them if they didn't have an accident in them. Just explain to him that it is only just in case because you are driving etc etc.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 9:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It shouldn't. I went on a long road trip with two of my children shortly after they potty trained and put them in Pull Ups for the drive. We stopped frequently for potty breaks and both kids made it through the 4 hour drive without once wetting themselves.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2010