How can you reconcile being gay and belonging to a party that is fighting gay marriage? former republican...

Former Republican Party Chairman Ken Mehlman says in a magazine interview that he is gay.

Mehlman, who was campaign manager for President George W. Bush in 2004 and then RNC chairman after Bush's re-election, told The Atlantic in an interview published online Wednesday that he came to the conclusion he is gay recently and wanted to talk about it publicly because he wants to become an advocate for gay marriage. He also thought questions would arise when he participates in an upcoming fundraiser for the group challenging California's ballot measure opposing those marriages.

"It's taken me 43 years to get comfortable with that part of my life," said Mehlman, now an executive vice president with KKR, a New York City-based private equity firm. "Everybody has their own path to travel, their own journey, and for me, over the past few months, I've told my family, friends, former colleagues and current colleagues

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I seriously do think that a lot of the people who are most adamantly against it are just trying too hard to deny or hide their own sexual insecurities. They usually end up being the ones who are gay, and are getting caught with their pants down....
    Not that I think there's anything wrong with being gay - I'm all for homosexual marriage. I'm just talking about those who fight against it and who end up getting arrested trying to pick up guys. I really think they must be under some extreme pressure to deny that part of themselves. I can't imagine how awful it is having to resort to sneaking male prostitutes or whatnot when it would be so much easier to just admit it to themselves and find a partner to settle down with. They really must be under terrible self-denial and awful pressure, is all I can think of...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• to put it bluntly, maybe some people aren't in it (a particular party) just because of one reason..maybe their majority reasons out-number the one?
    that's kinda like someone telling me that i didn't make enough money to be republican...what?!?!
    its narrow-minded thinking, at its best. IMO
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• But sweet thats just the thing that many people on here dont get. Being gay ISNT a huge and overpowering part of all gay people. Its just simply a PART of who they are. Being Straight isnt the begin all and end all of my being. What I do sexually is actually a very small part of my day ;) I am a repub. So is my gay Aunt. My gay cousins arent but then one is 18 and one is about 22 sooo they are still young LOL. I find it hysterical that some people see it as a look into peoples sexual insecurities when they have a problem with gay marriage. Maybe they should talk to Elton John (and many others in te gay community) that are NOT for gay marriage! I mean Dick Chaney was no less repub and no less loved his daughter. It's also kinda like I am Catholic. Does that mean I agree with everything ABOUT that church...no ( I love me my birth control LOL) its just the church I agree with the MOST! :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Not every gay person is for gay marriage. I personally know a lesbian who isn't for OR against it. She simply doesn't care enough one way or the other.

Also, not everyone picks their political party based on ONE issue. I know I sure don't. I would consider myself a Democrat (even though I've voted Republican) - and there are several issues that I disagree with "my" party on.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• you should ask some log cabin republicans.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• If I didnt care I wouldnt care. My marriage isnt church sanctioned. I got married at the JOP. According to MY CHURCH I am NOT MARRIED. soooo I guess a civil union or whatever the other thing is called would be just fine for me :) I dont care what anyone thinks. Dont need their approval. But since I agree with almost EVERYTHING the repubs believe and almost NOTHING the dems I am thinking I would STILL be a repub...

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• did you know that the log cabin republicans are the only group with a direct challenge to don't ask don't tell? Maybe gay republicans are more active in fighting for their rights, than gay liberals? idk.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Because I think people who make political decisions based on wedge issues are idiots.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• historically a republican is one who believe in a republic (as opposed to a democracy). in a republic, individuals have the right to govern themselves and live with limited government interference. A democrat is one who believes in democracy, where 51% of the people rule. this is not conducive to individual liberty - prop 8 is a classic example of how democracy works. Perhaps some gays are republican because of this reason.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• By LAW they would be just as "married" in a civil union.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 26, 2010