Should there be fat kids on Sesame Street, too?

Would it somehow be encouraging obesity? Or is it just a way to teach children that people come in all shapes & sizes?

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 9:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• NO!!! Having fat kids on Sesame Street is only going to reinforce to children that being fat and UNHEALTHY is acceptable.
    And no offense mommas, but parents with obese children SHOULD be held accountable. My sister has always been heavy (since age 6) and it's because my parents never pushed her to do anything about it. She's now 25, 5'10" and 380 lbs. ...
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't have a problem with fat kids...they don't show many kids anyway, it's mostly the puppets. The big issue I have is with the Baby Bear character, who has a speech impediment. He bugs me.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• GETREALMAMA....all i have to say to you is AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH Drives me up the friggin wall kinda like Clockey did on PeeWee's Play House.....ok so CALL me prejudice I Don't Care LOL......but I think esp. now with all the obesity crap going around they wouldn't risk it.....It sucks because people DO come in all shapes and sizes like bananas and triangles and....oh...sorry too Sesame Street.... LOL But seriously, they made Cookie Monster start eating fruits and veggies because he ate too many cookies, was fat, and a bad influence on kids.....are you kidding? He's Cookie Monster for cryin out loud....that's his job!.....
    Ok Rant Over LOL
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think it sends the message that being fat is okay...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes, it would encourage obesity. And it would conflict with their eating right message.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• it teaches that ppl come in all shapes and sizes..thats like asking should we have just oscar on there or if we should have all the other characters too? the world is a changing place...i dont see how it would be encourageing obesity..besides who wants to see a bunch of anorexics on tv? I would prefer a mix
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Why shouldn't they be
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Mamaofficer, you must be one of those who doesn't read the entire question before answering. ;-)
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Ok so I just explained this question to DH and he replied that they let homeless ppl on the show (Oscar the grouch who lives in the trash can) so why not fat kids? What do fat kids matter? I would rather have my kid be fat and sucessful than skinny and living in a trash can!!! It cracked me up! I had to share.
    Casumael

Answer by Casumael at 10:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• LOLOL Casumael, your husband rocks. I totally agree!! And HTMommy, I don't think it's prejudiced to want your kids to be tought by people/puppets/whatever who speak proper English. My husband is way worse - he hates Elmo, because he always refers to himself in the third person.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010