Since becoming a mother (sensitive content) adult content

Does it REALLY bother you when you see something on a movie or show about a young child being hurt or worse? Shows like Bones (there was one episode that I remember where a baby had been shaken to death), or movies where something happens to a baby or young child bother me a lot since I became a mother, even though they didn't even while I was pregnant (except that Saw where she got hit by the door, I was pregnant when I saw that). It's really hard for me to watch it now.

Is it like that for you, even though you know it isn't real?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• YES!!! I used to actually like shows that were about unsolved crimes/abductions/etc...and now I can't even sit through a minute of them!! It's so funny because I remember my mom being this way and my giving her a hard time about it when I was a teen and her saying "just wait until you're a parent"...of course I rolled my eyes at the time but i TOTALLY get it now! I also cry at the drop of a hat!! I guess loving something more than you have ever loved anything on earth changes your wiring a bit! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes it is. I was actually very insensitive to children before I had my baby. I didnt give a crap and thought it was funny. Now it makes me sick to my stomach and I just worry in the back of my mind....
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes! OMG! I saw an episode of House a few weeks ago that almost gave me nightmares!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• OMG totally! I can NOT watch any of those psycho 'horror' movies where the kid disappears or gets kidnapped or something because it really tugs on my 'mommy instincts'... i don't think i really enjoyed movies like that before either but especially now that i'm a mom. What i find myself liking more of nowadays are movies about countries in poverty or some bad history, they show a lot of kids orphaned or hurt or made to kill but it makes me feel so much more blessed to live in the USA, kwim? examples are like Hotel Rowanda(i'm totally spelling that wrong aren't i?) or Blood Diamond or one we just recently watched Slumdog Millionaire (2 thumbs up on that movie btw!)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 9:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I get the same way too
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes it do
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes! I tried to watch a horror movie about a couple whose little boy falls out of their bedroom window and the mom goes crazy. It was so disturbing to me! I couldn't even watch it. Anything involving the death of a child bothers me. I am not easily offended or shocked, but gruesome childrens deaths in movies I find offensive. And the "dead baby jokes" that I've heard people tell straight piss me off, and I have no problem telling them that telling jokes like that is not funny, only disgusting. Anyways, so yea...you're not the only one who is bothered by stuff like that. I always have been, but it's way worse since having my own child.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• All I can say is glad I'm not the only one....now why don't dads feel the same?
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 9:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• ABSOLUTELY!! There are things I stay away from now, like news articles and horror movies, because I know they will haunt me.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• yessss
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010