google it??

when you see someone asking a question here on CafeMom do you assume they have already googled it?

Does it bother you that someone might not have googled it before asking here?

I ask because I have been seeing a lot of questions lately that have "google it" for an answer

Does this seem rude to anyone else?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 9:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yeah that is pretty rude... if they wanted to google it they could've done that without the snide remark. i almost never google anything before asking here but mostly i'm asking for opinions or similar experiences not actual knowledge that i could find elsewhere on the internet :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 9:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• the Gewg is one of the greatest tools for gathering information anyone has at their disposal. The internet is the greatest collection of knowledge in the history of man. I would hope that most people have taken a few minutes out of their lives to learn how to use this tool. If they have not, I have no sympathy for them.

Now, if it's a case of something being difficult to determine a search string for, or information that requires multiple searches and multiple sources, I can understand the frustration. But questions about how to make laundry detergent or how to get a stain out bother me.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Well sometimes the questions that are asked are things that most moms would have no clue about, so if they are going to respond, the answerer googles it. The mom could and probably should be able to do that herself. I would never tell a mom to google it, but sometimes that is the answer to the question.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Sometimes I leave the advice to "Google It" because that might just be the best solution if none of us can come up with a better one. It is never to be rude or mean. After reading and answering the quantity of questions that I have seen, I do not assume that the poster had googled first because the whole point of this section is to ask questions and receive answers.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think it's a usuless answer. It's different to give a whole response and say "you can also google it" in the end. I have seen so many people posting these 2 words "google it"!
    I think it's rude and pointless.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 9:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• google it
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 9:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• HAHA no seriously it is rude...isn't it....its just plain laziness....if you wanted to google it you would have...if you wanted to seek similar advice you ask it here....that's all there is to it....
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 9:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree with Jenny-Talia, SleepingBueatee and WoodWitch...Sometimes, Google it is the best answer.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I admit it - dumb questions really bug me. I have not ever answered with "google it" but I do think it on many occasions. I don't think it's rude - I think it's more rude to expect people to do research for you that you could damn well do yourself. But I work in a library where people ask me dumb questions all day, and I know full well they have not made even the smallest effort to learn something new instead of having everything done for them. So I admit, I have a bias :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think that is rude, if you dont have a helpful answer, then just dont answer at all. I havent seen that yet, but I am new to cafemom. but it also wouldnt bother me if someone did not google the question first because this is a site for moms, and moms who have experience would seem like a better place to ask than google
    kinky_momma

Answer by kinky_momma at 10:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010