how hard is it to have 3 kids? and what other medication is there other than an epidural or anything in the spine?

DH and I are going to be planning baby number 3 in September after I end my period and I keep having thoughts like how it will be with 3 kids lol. And the pain of having another baby and can I deal with another one lol. I really want another baby it will be our last. My gorls are 5 (April 29) and 2.5 (January 11). They fight all day long, but my 5 year old is starting kindergarden in 7 days so I am hoping it will become easier lol. So how hard is 3 kids? I thought about the same thing when I got pregnant the second time I thought how can I do this pain again I was scared lol, but now I am really scared cause I don't want nothing stuck in my back again. I had an epidural with #2 and I was leaking spinal fluid and had 2 blood patches the worst pain I ever had and to this day I still have problems. What other medication do they have? Nothing whatsoever in the spine....

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• 3 kids is no harder than 2. I had 3 natural births so I can't help 'ya with the pain med thing. I think the best thing about having 3 is that they keep each other occupied plus the oldest can eventually help mommy out with the younger ones.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have 3 kids and it is hard, I won't lie. She was born January 10, 2007. I know there is Demerol.
    While it is trying at times, it is totally worth it!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 9:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Duromorph is an injectionable pain med, BUT it doesn't take all the edge off or something. I know how its used know people who've loved it, never had it myself, had 3 Cesareans.....BUT I've had 3 Cesareans which means DING DING DING 3 kids!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! I think organized chaos.....and Maintained Mayhem! HAHAH I have 3 boys, so I can't imagine girls but there are your good days and there are your bad days. I think you will have lots of help, which is a good thing in the long run...but 3 kids are a trip!
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 9:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have no idea about what pain medication is good for you. I had two natural and one c-section. I will tell you my recovery from the c-section was horrific however this was due to an infection I got prior to the surgery. I will tell you after the first kid I was scared outta my whits about pain. So when I went into shock and they delivered my second one via C--I was like whew what a relief. Although on my third one I had something to prove. I was like I am gonna do this natural--funny thing is she was born on the floor of the triage room at our hospital in a birthing chair. Sa la vie.
    Three kids are fun. Once they out number you I hear it is all the same. I have three. So I can only speak for three. MY kids are much closer in age than yours. My first two are 16 months apart and my third one was born 17 months later. So we were either pregnant or both pregnant and nursing for 4 years. Then it was over. This life is wonderful
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would go natural but I am scared to because with my first DD (you know how you normally push harder when you feel the pain to hurry up and get them out?) well I with baby number 1 I wasn't pushing hard enough with the epidural so they lowered it so I would feel it and get mad and start pushing, but I didn't do that I felt everything with her and instead of pushing I would only push to 5 then I told them I can't do it so they ended up having to use forceps with her.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'm having number 3 next month! :)
    AS for pain relief other than spinal or epidural, you can ask for an i.v. with a medication called nubane.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Ask your OB about IV meds. There are different ones, I think different hospitals generally have one they use most often. It won't numb you but it helps take the edge off a bit.

I remember being pregnant with our third. Our pediatrician, who is also a parent of 3, said to me "You know, you're going to be outnumbered now." LOL I think back on that moment quite frequently with the kids now being 2, 5 and 8. Boy, was he right. =) It takes a whole new approach to organization and prioritizing.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I used one of the iv meds with my daughter and hated it...it made my mind foggy and made me delusional. I don't know which one though because either they didn't tell me or i've just chosen to forget. I know I won't be using it again.
    Calleighsmommy2

Answer by Calleighsmommy2 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 26, 2010