Are you sure your college is accredited and/or certified?

Recent news stories and magazine article have been saying that many colleges and universities who advertise on TV (like some Phoenix locations, etc) are not accredited/certified and when you graduate your degree is practically worthless because it's not accepted by the industry you just paid all that money to go to school for.

Here is a link to the article that was in Good Housekeeping a month or so ago. So sad that people get all these thousands in student loans only for their degree to be worthless and they can't get a job to pay back the student loans.

Article name is School of Hard Knocks:

http://www.barryyeoman.com/articles/hardknocks.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep, I suppose Texas A&M is.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Most state supported public universities are. Its the private for profit online schools that are trouble.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'm a Texas State Bobcat - Grew up in Longhorn land...HOOK 'EM!
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 9:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes, it is only the FOR-PROFIT schools that are the problem...mostly the ones like you see commercials for during Maury LOL
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 9:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Anyone who doesn't know that must be really dumb. I mean...all you have to do is ASK!!!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have always wondered about those schools. There are a few of them in GA that aren't accredited. Everest and a chiropractic school, Life University or something like that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• That stupid song keeps running through my head for National American University...
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 10:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I go to a tech school, but I checked it out first. Don't feel like owing thousands for no reason.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 10:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• @gertie41 - The problem is that those schools tend to target audiences with lower IQ's, and/or with a low level of completed education. There is a reason why they advertise during the day time and super late at night, as well as during shows like Maury. They have a specific audience targeted. It's the "at-risk" population who they want - the ones who basically don't know any better to check them out beyond just someone telling them a handful of doo-doo.

What I've seen on some of the TV news magazine shows is that the advisors make all these promises and tell the students false statements about their school's qualifications just to get them to sign up and meet their quota.

Unless you get proof, in writing, that the school IS FOR SURE accredited, and/or certified - You don't really know for sure.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 10:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes, both of my degrees are from state public schools - Texas A&M and The University of Texas at Arlington.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010