How can I help my stepson sit still at school?

He doesn't show any of the signs of ADD or ADHD besides the fact that he can't sit still or be quiet! He is always moving and humming or talking to himself. He is extremely bright and does his work, but can't do it without making noise and moving...anyone been through this with any success?? Thanks!

(I am not interested in medication)

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure about this one because I have a 4 year old the same way...
    breezy2005

Answer by breezy2005 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Oh, I should probably mention he's in 2nd grade!
    stepmom929

Comment by stepmom929 (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• HAHA me either! They are trying to tell me my oldest has it....guess what....no he doesn't you just don't know how to deal with him so you want me to medicate him. F-U....anyway.....they had a blow up cushion they used for my son for a while...until he realized it felt a little "too good" if you catch my drift but that helped him.....Duct tape works wonders too!!! J/K
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My son was like this in K and 1st grade, not sure how he will be this yr (school starts next month) but he is showing alot more maturity this summer with being focused and not talking as much when he is at camp, home, other places.

My brothers said he would grow out of it and I believe he is moving towards it.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• cont.... But when he was in school for K and 1st he was always bringing home red days on his discipline sheet and we would just tell him to try better tomorrow and ask him what he likes/dislikes in the class....he would mostly say he was bored...like your stepson he is bright, does his work and is eager to learn....just happens to be at alittle faster pace than the other students.

In 1st grade, towards the end of the yr, the teacher did make him classroom helper and this helped some as well as he also was chosen alot to help the Principal.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010