I got fired today... tell me the truth...

Ok I have been working at a dry cleaners for the past three years working for a Korean family. A husband wife a son that comes in from time to time and one other worker besides myself. I was hired by the son who told me most of my duties would be helping his mother prepare and bag the clothes and I would be pressing pants some of the time..........the son for a summer job so all the pants pressing duties were transferred to me and the one other worker..... NO one wants to press the pants. (it sucks...super hot over a press in hot summer weather) anways I have been promised extra help for over a year now and also promised a pay raise with improvement on my part.
Today I let them know..in a nice way that I really needed some help doing this part of the job and no one was still hired..he told me ok..its not working...and for me to leave,after they both told me I didn't do good enough work for them.No complaints about me before.

Cochise

Asked by Cochise at 10:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• Did I have a right to voice my complaint..? and did he have a right to fire me over asking for help? I am piffed.
    Cochise

Comment by Cochise (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• WOW I have no idea why they fired you. Maybe they took your tone the wrong way. I'm sorry about that.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• That is malarky. Personally it sounds like they only fired you because they didn't want to give you more money. I say good riddance, obvioulsy they made promises they never intended to keep. You can find a much better environment to work in.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 10:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Honestly my tone wasn't bad...I was completely calm...he was the one that got angry.
    Cochise

Comment by Cochise (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You had a right since you were promised, I don't think they had a right to fire you but if you work in a free to work state then they can fire you for what ever reason they want.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• yeah you did have a right to voice your complaints and maybe you should call the bbb and complain
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Thanks Mommy of two... ... and ajbrowines..I am starting to think the same.... bad work environment.
    Cochise

Comment by Cochise (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I see no reason why they would be justified to fire you. What a jerk. It sucks...I was fired once too and it hurts and makes you question yourself and question peoole....it doesn't even make any sense!!! But maybe some good will come from this---a better job with a nicer boss? Good luck!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• you can file for unemployment and get paid while you find another job since your were fired wrongfully.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Thanks Gertie.. yeah it does suck to get fired... part of it does hurt my feelings...but I am not questioning myself because I know I was a good worker for them... I worked like a dog for them in extreme heat this past summer. I am a hard and reliable worker.I know it is their loss...cause they won't find anyone all that quick for that kind of work. ... I am sure I will find something else...and your right... hopefully a nicer more understanding boss. I really didn't think I did anything wrong... but as curious as to what the moms think on here...cause I know I will get the truth here. (:
    Cochise

Comment by Cochise (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2010