Did/Do you have morning sickness 24/7???

Did you know that condition is called hyperemesis gravidarum - which I think is Latin for vomiting pregnant woman.

Anyway, it's a real condition - I had it with both my pregnancies. My first doctor and her nurses kept trying to tell me it was all in my head and continued suggestions of ginger snaps, ginger-ale, that anti-nausea liquid, motion sickness wrist bands, saltines, etc - but no matter what I was nauseous all day long, every day. If my eyes were open, I was trying not to throw up. I was miserable. My doc would not prescribe any anti-nausea Rx.

My second PG was bad too, I did research, found out what I had, & switched to a doctor who would prescribed Zofran for me (which saved me). I had a 1yr old at home and I could not afford to be in bed vomiting all day, nor could I be in bed asleep from the Rx Fenegren (sp?). Zofran saved me, but it's damn expensive!

Did/do you suffer from nausea the whole pregnancy??

texassahm

Asked by texassahm at 10:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• not really
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• yes, i suffered it right threw my pregnancy, i had to take dicelin right threw my pregnancy and if i missed a pill i would be in the bathroom throwing up!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 10:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• no..i had tons of indigestion.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes, I was sick with both my pregnancies for all 9 months. My 2nd pregnancy, I gained 3 lbs. For me, it was more like my food never settled so it always came back up.
    GinaPQueen

Answer by GinaPQueen at 10:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Unless you've had HG, you don't really understand how debilitating it is. You cannot function in daily life. I used to have to pick my stepson up from pre-k and I had to carry around a plastic cup with me so I could puke in the car, and puke in the school when I went to pick him up. Constant dry heaves and throwing up just about everything I ate or drank.

I lost 15lbs my first trimester and the doctor almost had to admit me for dehydration because I couldn't keep water down.

Famous English author Charlotte Bronte (Jane Eyre) died from HG when she was 4 or 5 months pregnant. It's a life-threatening condition.
    texassahm

Comment by texassahm (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I had that with my first baby, I was miserable and ended up going into labor and having him at 26 weeks. My doctor kept telling me it was normal. I switched doctors after that.
    Mamie_85

Answer by Mamie_85 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• oh yeah and it got worse with each kid not easier like its supposed to., I had morning sickness even on the days I gave birth. and one was induced so I know it wasn't part of labor, it happened on the way to the hospital to be induced.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• To my own surprise I hardly had any nausea during my pregnancy, I didn't even throw up once. But I had terrible constipation and gas problems, which I think isn't much better! But towards the middle of the second trimester it was pretty much gone :)
    Kittyfreak66

Answer by Kittyfreak66 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• yes it was terrible
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 12:49 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I was diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum with my first. I had to quit working, only kept foods/fluids down if I was lucky enough to hold down my meds first, and there was a 4 month period when I didn't even leave my house. I didn't ever want to be pregnant again after that, it honestly felt like having the flu for 8 months straight.

This time I've had horrible morning sickness and was given Zofran, but I don't think it's hyperemesis again. It's funny to say that when I'm still vomiting daily now at 38 weeks, but I'm still able to function and it's just nothing compared to what I went through last time.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 3:22 AM on Aug. 26, 2010