Dogs keep fighting.. (long question)

We have three dogs.. 1 is the mother, we've had her since she was a pup. She wound up getting out of the yard about 2 years ago and got pregnant. Had 5 pups, gave 3 away, kept two because hubby & I couldnt decide which to keep, so we finally agreed to just keep the two sisters. Ever since a few months ago, the dogs have been fighting. If they stare at each other for a few minutes, they just start going at it. Me or my husband grab one of them and run to the cage, put her in, the other usually chases to the cage then runs in. Now they have started pee-ing all over the house. I walkout of one room for a few minutes and go back in &theres pee on the floor. They dont tend to fight if there are kids in the room and if they do, its far away from them. They have never biten anyone. We try to not show favoritism, and treat them all equally. What can I do to get these dogs to get along. Ready to get rid of one if they cant get along.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Pets

• We had this problem with our dogs when we brought our puppy home. Our trainer insisted it was dominance - they are trying to win alpha in the pack. If you or your husband is alpha, this sounds like they are having a bit of sibling rivalry. We used positive reinforcement, when they got along they got a treat. We also walk them together & at the first signs of aggression step in. I never leave them unattended with toys on the floor or treats. We also feed them out of the separate bowls & in separate areas of the kitchen. It has been over 2 years now and they don't love each other, but they do respect one another now! Good Luck!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 10:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• All female dogs? They are probably getting territorial. They might not have bitten anyone yet but I am not sure that it's safe to keep them both with the way they are acting. If things got out of control one of your kids could get hurt. My personal opinion: You should probably get rid of one of the puppies.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 10:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• That DEF sounds like an alpha thing.....but I am wondering why the momma doesn't step in since she has been there longer....they are at the age where they are going to try and be dominant over one another. Whom ever is your alpha either you or your hubby may have to go to the all out dog war and drop them both down and prove your dominance. I've had to do that with a few dogs I've had through out my life.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 11:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Its all about pack order so I would suggest
    1) Spay all your dogs - believe it or not this will help and well frankly - its the responsible thing to do
    2) Start training your dogs - read this about becoming a good strong pack leader (and google more)
    http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp51/cc/dog-behaviour/packleader.shtml
    3) Seek professional training if you can't handle it.

Ultimately your females will not fight over dominance if you and your husband are the alphas.

You should not be grabbing your pet to put them in the crate - you should urge them in and reward them with a treat until they are willing to go in on command.

The urinating thing may also be a dominance thing , it could be a medical thing. Make sure you take your dogs to the vet for an annual check up
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 8:00 AM on Aug. 26, 2010