• In the Spotlight:

Rules in Photography?

I would like to know the rules in photography

KatieG04

Asked by KatieG04 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• what exactly do you mean do you want f stop to aperature ratios or general rules for good pictures like make sure the subject has more light in front than behind.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 3:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Anything,I determined to learn this stuff
    What does fstop and aperature even mean, I know how to change them but dont know to what
    KatieG04

Answer by KatieG04 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Have you heard about the rule of three? Basically you break the picture up in your mind into thirds to center things or off center things...however you like. My hubby swears by it and I have tried it and thinks it helps.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 1:31 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Technically, there aren't alot of rules. It's a form of art and however you interpret what you are taking a pic of is what you see. I myself don't understand the f-stop and aperatures, but I practice alot and find what works best for me. It also depends on what type of camera you have and equipment you are able to use with it. Have you joined any of the photography groups on here? They will help you with your questions and also, books at a photography shop have alot of good info. Amherst Media has published some good books. Your local library may even be able to bring books in for you to view. Happy Snapping!!

Shelly Palmer
    SnapHappyPhotography
    www.myspace.com/snap_happyphotography
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I have a lot to learn too. I'm currently taking "at home" classes through the New York Institute of Photography. I have a lot of material to cover and learn about (pictures to shoot). I need to get motivated and back into the course.
    Marybeth

Answer by Marybeth at 10:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• You can join my group at Camera Workshop, we can get you started with a lot of tutorials and challenges already in place. Plus a bunch of great photography moms to answer your questions. We've been around for over a year and a half. Check us out :)
    websorceress

Answer by websorceress at 8:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I agree, join some groups here on CM (Camera Workshop is a great one!) to begin to learn the general knowledge of photography. You HAVE to learn the basics of photography if you really want to be able to manipulate any lighting situation and just create a beautiful portrait, rather than just a snapshot. =) It's great to learn the basics first, get all the knowledge down pact...and then learn to break "the rules". LOL A GREAT book to begin to learn and understand all this, that I've heard, is called "Understanding Exposure" and you can usually find it at your local bookstore or even online. HTH!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 10:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2008