Would you homeschool your child?

What do you think about homeschooling vs. Public School?

ajbrownies

Asked by ajbrownies at 10:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would NEVER do it myself because I could not possibly be around kids all day and not deal with real world grown-up stuff, I'd go crazy!!!... but if it fits someone's personality and they have enough intelligence and a strong network to ensure their children are properly socialized? Go for it!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My husband and I are both homeschool graduates, we'll most definitely be homeschooling our children.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My husband and I have talked about it, but honestly it would be a last resort. My DD, who is almost 6, behaves perfectly in school (she is in Kindergarten). She saves the defiant behavior for me at home. It's not all the time, but a lot of the time we are dealing with behavior problems at home. She picks on her little brother a lot. I know that a lot of it is normal kid stuff, but I think that she'd spend so much time in her room that she wouldn't have a chance to learn anything. Also, I don't know that I'm organized enough to do a good job at it. We send her to a Catholic school. It's sort of a compromise, since we don't like the public schools and I don't want to homeschool.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Nope. I like working as a teacher. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• We do homeschool our children, it's the best choice for our family. Yes, you really do have to like your kids, but for us that's not an issue.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• no i would not homeschool my children. i dont want them to miss out on all of the friends, socializing, prom, sports teams, etc. and learning the necessary skills it takes to be around many different kinds of people. plus they deserve an education from someone with a college degree who can give them the best education that they deserve.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My son is still a toddler but I don't think we are going to homeschool. I think the socialization in school is very important, especially when your child is a little shy like mine is. We fully expect that he will not be challenged enough in school (neither of us was either) but we plan to supplement his "school education" with lots of activities at home too. School does not end when your child leaves the classroom!!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• We've thought quite a bit about homeschool, and we might homeschool our toddler. Odds are even better that our baby will be homeschooled, even if her sister isn't, because of her extensive medical problems.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I homeschooled my two younger kids....socialization isn't a problem at all, in fact regular school gives them an almost false socialization. When in life are you socializing only with people the same age as you from basically the same neighborhood and economic background. There are so many great homeschool groups, and opportunities for socialization, that that should never be the reason to not homeschool.

On the other hand, I have no problem with traditional schools, my oldest son went all the way through public schools, my middle son went back to public school in middle school, and my youngest homeschooled through high school. He also started college at 15, and is now 18 and in his 3rd year of college...with his 21 year old brother.

I think there are pros and cons for both, and that each family should consider the options carefully, making the best choice for their children and their family.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I am homeschooling, I guess it's official now since my oldest will be 5 this fall, although I started last year. I think it's a great option, there is all kinds of support available. I know there is more support in some areas and less in others, but where I live there is tons, I honestly know far more homeschooling families than public schooling families around. My kids get a lot of socialization with people of all ages, and more than just the same classroom full of kids all the same ages every day. I love that they can be taught one on one and go at their own pace, they don't ever have to be held back if they are ahead or forced to move on if they don't get something. They don't have to have any idea of how they compare to other kids or what their grades are. They can excell in their favorite subjects and I can teach them than God is the creator of the universe. And I can do it all in only a couple hours a day.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010