Cat Urine

My Cat who I have had longer than my oldest Kid LOL is peeing all over everything....he has since he was fixed which was later than normal, but regardless, he pees on random things like bags, and toys. I know the clothes is a territorial thing because its ONLY on my husbands and stepdads armpits, but even the litter box is clean and he pees in it, then pees everywhere else...any suggestions to get him to stop, or help rid the smell more? I use the steam cleaner on the carpet and spot clean but it still smells musty.

HTMommy

Asked by HTMommy at 10:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Pets

• Has he been checked by the vet for a UTI or problem caused by the surgery? Cats are by nature very clean and t his behavior isn't quite right. To get the smell out, you need to buy and enzyme based cleaner for urine. they sell these at all pet stores and Farm supply stores. You may need to try a few to see which works best for the older set in smells. We have had great luck with these and the little green machine using the pet spot cleaning solution. Good luck!
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 10:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I had a male cat do that after he was fixed. I don't know how to get the cat to stop. The best product I've found for getting rid of the urine smell is a liquid enzyme cleaner called Nix. It comes in a white spray bottle with green lettering, and it's impossible to find. I finished off our bottle that my husband brought home a while back, and haven't been able to find any more. I thought we were going to have to tear out the carpet in my DD's room when she was potty training, but this product saved it.

I'd love to know if anyone can suggest another good product. Sorry I wasn't more help.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• vinegar works a lil but i used to have to put it in a spot like behind the tv not on toys i think it works until they cant smell it anymore then you have to put more down
    jaes347

Answer by jaes347 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Baking soda and water always helped me to remove the smell from our carpets. As for the getting him to stop peeing all i know is that with our cat who is now 15 years old... we just kinda deal with it. He is too old to punish for it and when we tried that he just did it more. So unfortunately i cannot give any advice on how to stop it. :(
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 10:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Honestly, I've never had a cat do that until our 6 year old cat ended up with a UTI. It is very common in cats and they don't always like to go in their litter box because it can be painful if the have an infection. They sometimes will associate the litter box with that pain, so they will go somewhere else. Have you taken him to the vet to have a urine sample done? If it's a UTI They can give him meds and also give you advice on how to get rid of the pee smell and help him start going back in his litter box. You might want to try a litter attractant in the litter box.

I also agree that the enzyme solutions work well for getting the smell out. We've tried a few, and the all work fairly well.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I haven't taken him to the vet which is the next step but he's been doing it for so long i just figured he was a lazy fatass LOL he is 20lbs used to be 22lbs
    HTMommy

Comment by HTMommy (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• He is spraying his territory - this is what happens when you neuter them too late ( but can still happen if you do it early on too just less common)
    Sorry I dont know about training cats - I would consult a professional.
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 8:02 AM on Aug. 26, 2010