For the women who have been married a long time...

What's the hardest thing that you feel you've had to overcome in your marriage? Any other marital advice would be appreciated...ty!

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 11:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• I've been married for 17 years and the hardest thing is learning how to communicate and not fight over silly ass stuff. Communication really is the key to a good marriage.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• 20 years and its hard to remember to act like husband and wife rather than brother and sister- to remember to not let or busy lives keep us from taking time to be a couple.....we take each other for granted sometimes-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think the hardest thing for me, is letting go. I have a hard time letting go of things that have happened, and it's something I really work on.

We've been married for 22 years, and I think I would tell newlyweds not to give up too easily when things get tough, & you don't feel "in love". Just like everything else in life, marriage has ups and downs, and there will times when you think you hate him, and even then, you can end up madly in love all over again. Divorce sometimes seems like an easy option, but if you have kids it's not. You will always be parents together, and now you will just have new issues, so if at all possible (and isn't always possible) work it out. There are times when it's easy, & times when it's hard work. But, it's worth the work.

Take care of your relationship, put each other first, keep the romance alive even when the kids keep you busy, and responsibilities make it hard. If you do, you'll make it
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• only 3 years but it has been rough fighting emotional affair on his part and the loss of our baby! i feel like we set out to see the marrage through and are so in love that we can forgive over time and he is best friend and you have to remember guys are jerks some times and were bitches sometime just dont take the little things to heart! and keep your self happy! my husban always told me dont worry sbout how mad i am just keep your self happy! that was great advice
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 11:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I've been married for 18 years. Keeping the attraction and passion is hard work. Like a previous answer you have to work hard not to become "brother and sister." So we do it by focusing on being happy people. You will find that being the happy, carefree girl your husband fell in love with cause him to see you as that girl and will cause him to maintain his passion for you. Hopefully that made sense. :)
    JennyBelle

Answer by JennyBelle at 11:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• The worst thing that's happened in our marriage has been our two miscarriages, but we went through those together, I feel they brought us closer together. We actually rarely fight or argue and we've luckily always been good at communicating with each other. Believe me, I know how lucky I am that we get along so well. What I feel has been the most important thing in keeping us so happy is that we communicate very well, and we're both pretty easy going and don't hold grudges.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• ive been married for 15 years together for 18. the biggest problem ive had to over come is trust. my husband was young,dumb,and full of cum.(yes i had one of those) and through out the years he has put those foolish and childish things aside,yet i find myself twelling on the past sometimes,and when i am alone i cry,not because of the cheating but because i was strong once,and im not really sure what happen,other then the fact that i met this boy that changed my life forever.he is now a full fledge man with responsibilities and respect,i some times feel i tear rolling down my face....and deep in the back of my mind...i dont trust him.
    Tamara L.

Answer by Tamara L. at 12:00 AM on Aug. 26, 2010