Soup Beans?

I post what I am making for supper on FB all the time and it seems like I've always got someone asking what Soup Beans are. Is it just a Southern thing or do you know what Soup Beans are?

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 11:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• ummm..I'm not entirely sure, but there is a bag of mixed beans I buy that I use for soup. Is that what you are talking about?
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 11:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• That's what we called navy beans. I think the term is more southern.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I know I know ,sorry it must be my kids are back in school, I am from Texas but both sides of my family are southern- deep south.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:38 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I cook with a lot of beans and I'm from the South and I'd still would want to know what type of bean is a 'soup bean.' All beans can be used in soups, so which one does that term refer to?
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Soup beans is a term common in the Southern United States, particularly the regions around the Appalachian Mountains. It refers to pinto or other brown dried beans cooked with smoked pork as flavoring.1 Soup beans are usually served with cornbread, greens (such as boiled cabbage, cauliflower, or fried saurkraut and weenies), corn (whole or sweet), and potatoes (stewed or fried) and may be topped with raw chopped onions. Soup beans are considered a main course, but also serve as a side dish. In rural areas, where food was scarce during the winter, these dried beans were a staple food. [1]
    hsmominky

Comment by hsmominky (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We don't make our beans a soup per say. We cook the Pinto Beans in water with a Ham bone to give them flavor. We will cook them most of the day and serve them with cornbread, potatoes and onions. They are considered a main dish and a staple for many here in the South.
    hsmominky

Comment by hsmominky (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010