anyone check their own dialation?

I am almost 36 weeks and I have been checking my own dialation simply because I have had strong contractions. At this point I am able to get two fingers into my cervix and can feel her hard head. It used to bounce if I were to lightly push on it but now it is really stuck. My question is... Is this normal after having three other babies (which I did not check my cervix with) or does this mean that I have begun to dialate? How do I know how dialted I am? I have decided to not check for awhile because I can feel the bag of water protruding down into my cervix and I am afraid I will break it :( What has been your experience? Thanks ladies...

littlebehr1

Asked by littlebehr1 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 2 fingers is 3-4 centimeters. which is fine, you can be dialted that far for weeks. its not recomended to check yourself but since you are make sure your hands and fingernails are thouroughly cleaned,
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• oh and if your water breaks DONT DO IT! you can easily introduce infection once oyur water breaks.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Ditto the previous post, you really shouldn't check yourself, they don't even recommend doctors do it very often unless necessary because everytime you put anything up there, you're introducing bacteria, I hope you're washing your hands thoroughly or wearing clean new gloves when you do, but I highly recommend you stop doing it. If you don't know what you're doing or what you're feeling, looking for, you shouldn't be doing it. I was dilated to 3-4 for about 6wks, then I was 5 when i walked into the hospital at 39wks and was induced, this happened with both my babies.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 12:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i did mine with my first
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 6:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2010