Would it bother you

if your child came home from school and told you they didn't like a classmate due to their religion? Or would you pat them on the head and give them a cookie? Would it bother you if they called a classmate a terrorist because of their nationality?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course it would bother me. When I've talked to my almost 6 year old about how people have different beliefs, I make sure to tell her that they are not bad people because they don't believe the same things we believe. I would correct her if she said that just like I would correct her if she said she didn't like people who are overweight or a different skin color. We have not taught our kids that people of a certain nationality are terrorists and we don't watch the news when they are awake, so I would have to question where she heard it if she said something like that.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It would bother me... I would try to get to the bottom of the exact issue. I personally don't believe that anyone should be judged based on just their religion or nationality.
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 11:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Of coarse it would bother me. I would teach them they can't hate or dislike someone because they are different then they are.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have taught my Children to see past that. They know that we do not judge based upon relgious views or differences.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would have a fit...

Because my son is one of those kids that has come home upset because he was called a terrorist amongst other things due to his religion & heritage.. When my son isn't even Muslim, he's Sikh..

I know what it's like to console a child that has been treated that way.. I be damned if I would ever stand for my son to treat anyone that way.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would be. But then my children do vacation bible school at the Baptist church and one of my daughters best friends is Buddhist. My girls are pretty laid back and religion isnt something we judge people on. I figure there are WAY too many people on this earth for there to be only one way to get into heaven or the after party ;)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Would have never happened in our home- We raised them with our values and belief system. Bigotry, intolerance and close-minded thinking NEVER accepted. My kids are the exact opposite -friends to all, saving the world kind of people. I have 1 who spent time working and studying in Africa and is now living and working in So America.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:08 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Absolutely that would bother me. I plan to raise my daughter(s) to know better than to judge people like that. I've already tried to instill in my oldest that race isn't a factor, but at 2, religion is still an elusive concept.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• yes it would bother me. i would think where the heck is getting that negative viewpoint/thinking/opinion from
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 12:30 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My children never did that, nor would they ...
    They were taught better than that.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 12:37 AM on Aug. 26, 2010