Beauty School?

Should my 18 year old undecided daughter go to community college or beauty school? she has interest in neither but doesn't know what to do....

Please explain what you think and why!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• I went to beauty school and I don't think it's something you do without interest. Reason is because it is a trade and it's the only thing there you are going to learn. Without interest in it, you can't do anything else with that education. At least at community college she can take courses in several areas to find an interest. She can also revisit beauty school later, if she decides it is what she wants.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 11:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• community college is probably better. Like CJM SHM said- unless she if really interested in it, beauty school probably won't be a great thing. You would be surprised what you have to learn there and if you are gonna go through all that it should be something you either want badly, or something you can build upon to eventually do something you DO like
    * I also went to cosmetology school
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• If she doesn't know what she wants to do, I would think Community College is a better choice. At beauty school, she is going to have limited options with regard to career, at least with Community College she will have general course work on her resume. If she doesn't have a passion for hair, I'd think she'd be bored quickly.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:27 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You can't be great at any job you don't have passion for. If she isn't interested in beauty school, let her go to community college as an undecided. It probably wouldn't hurt to let her get a part time job to see what minimum wage is like and how hard it is to live on.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:02 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Community college would be better. At least there she'll learn subjects she can use in life or if she goes on to get a degree. And look at it from an employer's point of view. Having community college on your resume is going to look a lot better than beauty school, especially if she doesn't finish.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 26, 2010