Does showering make you itchy?

If I'm in the shower more than 15 minutes, when I get out I'm very itchy. Does this happen to you? Why does this happen?

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 11:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Health

• I'm gonna bet you have what I have- too much chlorine in your water, sensitive skin and eczema- never a good combo. I would look into getting a water filter. Here's what else you can do- IMMEDIATELy after you step out of the shower and PAT dry, slather a fragrance free lotion with oatmeal all over head-to-toe. I like Walmart's version of Aveeno. It doesn't break the bank and works just as good. Then if you really want to do some more good, put a non-talc cornstarch or powder(again fragrance free) on top. The powder works to seal in the moisture and acts as a barrier to your delicate skin. This really works but you have to do it after every shower. Oatmeal helps the itch. Trust me, I had some BAD eczema that even a Rx couldn't help.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:19 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• you could have dry skin
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It happens to me when it's time to change our water filter. Also, if we're in an area that is close to a water treatment plant, I sometimes have that problem because of what they use in the water (like chlorine).
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• If you have dry skin it can.  Also if you have the water too hot.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• dry skin....apply some moistourising lotion afterwrds
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• three things hard water.dry skin, and cheap soap
    QuEeN_bEe_03

Answer by QuEeN_bEe_03 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• not ME but my daughter complains that her legs are super itchy ALL the time after her shower, it drives me insane! i really should keep reminding her to put lotion on (she's 7 so i don't do it for her), we also have alot of chlorine in our water cause of a salmonella scare a couple years ago (new water treatment plant and all but the water is still very chlorinated to me), is there anything else i could try for her?
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:03 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• when the water hits my face it constantly itches..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I did until I switched to all sulfate free products (hair, skin, including lotion). I switched body wash first and than noticed that when I washed my hair and the suds ran down my back I itched, almost instantly.

It ticks me off because I spent years and a LOT of money on Oil of Olay, every lotion known to mankind, and still itched. After I switched I took a look, and sure enough, even the O of O had that crap in it. Originally they used sulfates in car washes and to clean engines. Than the cosmetics companies found out its cheap and makes a lot of bubbles ... soap cleans whether it makes bubbles or not.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:23 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• u may have dry skin. are it could be your water. try alveno lotion.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 6:36 AM on Aug. 26, 2010