Suggestions for kid who is so curious he is destructive.

Example: putting a quarter in a electric outlet until it started smoking and charring the wall (oh BTW he is 7 -beyond toddlerhood) Or when my husband was changing the tires and told him to stay away from the tools and the tires-and he didn't and came out covered in grease from head to toe. . We just spent all night looking for a set of screws to a bed because he wanted to play with them and now they're completely lost and now we can't put the bed back together. He is extremely smart he's just a regular Dennis the Menace!

Steffy1099

Asked by Steffy1099 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Lego's (their robotics or cool, but he might need help) , blocks, K'nex, erector sets, science kits, radio shack has some electronic kits, models, train sets, anything he can build and rebuild.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• my brother was the same....he took things apart just to see how they worked and then put them back together. The best thing i can say is embrace it because if you don't it'll get worse and he'll do more out of sight. Next time your hubby works on the car put him in some crappy clothes and let him go help....give him specific instructions and let him help....thats what we do with our boys...oldest is 7 too so I know how you feel.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 12:10 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i would suggest one of those pirate of the Caribbean...
    Patientchild3

Answer by Patientchild3 at 12:10 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Nurture it, it will make him a genius!

You can find things like VCRs and DVD player etc. in the trash or at the junkyard (my dad does that) and let him play with them. Maybe give him his own set of tools and a specific room. Just be sure to tell him the if you let him do that, he can't take apart anything else other than what you give him.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 12:21 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My brother was the same way too. My mom bought him many toys that did things. He took apart and broke radios, electronic cars, even his game boy and playstation just to see how they worked. I agree with the Legos comment, my bro. was obsessed with legos and giving him anything less valuable for him to take apart.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 12:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Set limits. Tell him what he is allowed to take apart and what he is not. Do not let him just do as he pleases. Maybe buy old radios and things at garage sales and create a little workshop for him in the basement or in the garage. He should be required to limit his activities to his own belongings. Otherwise, he is disrespecting other peoples property.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 6:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2010