problem with my 9 week olds eye

My 9 week olds left eye keeps filling up with white eye boogies. Its just been today that I noticed it. She doesnt seem to be bothered by it at all though. Its a little watery also. Any ideas what it could be? Im going to call the pedi tomorrow to see if I should bring her in.

falanlee

Asked by falanlee at 3:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's just a clogged tear duct. just massage between the ridge of her nose and the eye that gets crusty with a warm wash cloth. you can bring her to the pedi, but other than giving you some cream- like stuff to put on her eye, that's what they'll say. actually, the pedi saw my 10 week old yesterday and didn't give me anything, only reason why i got some cream for it is cuz she went for her 2 week checkup and the nurse just gave me some in case i wanted to use it.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• YAY! A question I know how to answer! Yesterday I went into the docs office FOR this reason, same eye same boogies. AND my son in 9 weeks old!

He told me to whipe away the boogies with a warm compress from inside to out.
    The boogies wont bother her and usually go away at 6 months, apparently this boogie issue is common. Anyway...just keep on top of it.

My doc said if by 6 months to 9 months its not gone, then he will send me to an eye doc!

I know it sucks! but no worries!!!
    xandersmama22

Answer by xandersmama22 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It's a clogged tear duct and totally normal. A couple drops of breastmilk in the eye will help clear it up, no kidding. My doc also suggested using warm compresses soaked with green tea instead of just water because green tea has natural anti-inflammatory properties.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• everyone else is totally correct, clogged tear duct, if they eye turns red or baby is irritated, tell their doctor, but other wise stretch the tear duct, and wipe away the boogies away from the tear duct with a clean kleenex or washcloth
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 4:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I just want to back up the breastmilk answer because it sounds weird. I tried it when my son woke up with his eye practically glued shut with eye boogies. It cleared it away in SECONDS!! I also followed my doctor's recommendation of wiping inside to out. He even told me to use a small amount of pressure on the inside corner.
    AmandaH7

Answer by AmandaH7 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• my sisters baby had an underdeveloped eye gland when she was born and this was a common occurance - she just had to clean it often and make sure you talk to a dr about it
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 4:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It is not necessarily a clogged tear duct so I will give you another option as well. My daughter's eyes got like this when she had allergies. I would not suggest putting breast milk in their eye, it just makes them mad. Just think about if you would want someone to put milk in your eye.
    pookie_1228

Answer by pookie_1228 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• well if it helps, then putting breastmilk in her eye isn't a problem. we do alot of things babies don't like, like wipe their face after they're done eating. sometimes you just have to do things that they don't like, because it's good for them. as for you ladies saying your doctor told you to wipe it from the inside out, that's weird, my doc told me to do it from the outside in...hhmm
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I also think it sounds like a clogged tear duct. Both of my babies have had that. My oldest outgrew it by 9 months of age, but my youngest has to get his tear duct probed on Thursday (he's 12 months). The large majority of babies outgrow it. It doesn't hurt them, it just doesn't make for very pretty pictures. =)
    MamaJAG

Answer by MamaJAG at 1:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2008