What is your opinion on adult ADHD/ADD?

One of my sons is ADHD inattentive type. Once he was diagnosed I googled the hell out of it and realized I am too. I have been since childhood, but in the 70s and 80s they didn't diagnose it unless you had a major problem because of it. I got Bs and Cs in school, so they didn't see a problem, but my IQ was borderline gifted. I really struggled to get the grades I got, though. I have lost/quit jobs because of my inability to concentrate and impulsiveness. So.... here I am.... 38 years old..... and my doctor prescribed Concerta for me. The same med my 13yo is on. I like it. I am more productive and my thoughts are more in order. But I think it's odd that he would prescribe this to a middle aged housewife. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Health

• Did your medical dr prescribe or a physch dr? It seems fine, but if you want a 2nd opinion over a medical dr thats fine too. I would trust, you like it.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:18 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• my husband is 35 and he was prescribed the same medicine he started on the low dosage and after a few months increased it , i didnt notice a difference in his actions, but he said it was helping him at work to focus...i prefer more natural stuff then pills but he forgets to take them as well ..good luck
    angelmama2516

Answer by angelmama2516 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• obviously it is working if you are noticing a difference
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 12:22 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have ADD but it is untreated, I have no insurance
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i havebeen told mt a dr.that their is not any add, just adhd.both my kids have to deal nwith this.1 kid had adhd.and the 2 has adhd and bipolar.and they both have odd.one of my kids are on concerta and it works great for her.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 6:35 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have ADHD but after living with it for 47 years without meds, I've learned to deal with it.  I wouldn't feel like me if I were on meds.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:40 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Making dietary changes for you and your family can be very beneficial. I worked in special ed for many years and saw how diet had an affect on the students I worked with. Why would adults be any different? Look into a gluten free, dairy free eating plan and increase fruits and vegetables it can really make a huge difference. There is also a nutritional product that can help with better nutrition, contact me if you would like to find out more.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 2:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i should me on meds for it but i stoped takeign them when i was 16 i ahted them i felt like a zombie
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I agree with wellnessgirl above ... often times, there are underlying biological conditions that manifest themselves as ADHD behaviors and they can often be treated (or at least the symptoms lessened) using a biomedical approach which involves dietary changes and vitamin and mineral supplementation (I was able to rid my own son of his ADHD diagnosis). My opinion on ADHD, whether in children or adults, is that meds should be a last resort but, unfortunately, are often the first line of defense offered by mainstream doctors. The pharmaceutical companies want to make us lifelong clients (research the history of ADHD and stimulant medications to learn more).
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:16 AM on Aug. 28, 2010