Whats the trick / secret to using coupons and saving a bundle???

You see these people on talk shows that buy a heaping grocery cart full of groceries and say that their grocery bill was $300.00 before coupons and after the coupons they spent $25.00. I'm using these dollor amounts as an example as I can't remember the exact amount. I've cut coupons and shopped ads and I've saved $30.00 at the store in one trip but I by no means have ever been able to buy $300 worth for $25.00. HOW IS THIS DONE?

happy2bme7

Asked by happy2bme7 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Shopping

• I don't know how realistic that is with coupons alone. I find that the biggest savings come in stocking up when stores have Buy-One-Get-One-Free deals. If all you buy in your grocery trip qualifies for that sale, then, boom--there's half-off your bill right there. If you also bring manufacturer coupons for each of those items that were on sale, then you reduce your bill even further. Clip the "Double Manufacturer Coupon" offer from the store's weekly flyer and you get an extra $.50 off each coupon you use (usually limited to four coupons, for a total of $2.00). My local Safeway, in addition to offering those BOGO deals also occasionally has a $10 off coupon. When I combine those tactics, I still don't see savings quite as dramatic as in your example above, but I was able to take 46% off my last grocery trip. I saved $60.
    PollyJ

Answer by PollyJ at 2:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I did the coupons for Years, running to every store to get the best price and double coupons. Now I shop online and don't need coupons anymore, I get 30% to 40% off. And 10% to 15% rebate that covers my shipping. Think of what I have saved on gas. And Time!!! Think about all the time you clip and then the time you spend shopping. It makes sense.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 1:56 AM on Oct. 16, 2008