If the principal doesn't let me take out my son at 2p.m to take him to his speech therapy wiggle program cause hes got pervasive disorder, what should I do?

I had told her about it since Monday the first day of school and she told me its fine and now shes saying she doesn't want him going out and I told her well his speech and occupational therapy helps him alot more because its two teachers teaching him and giving him the attention and in school its only one teacher to 30 students! and shes like 'well he can learn from the students" which I dont think that makes sense because there barely in kinder. That principal has been rude to me and has been complaining about my son she wanted for me to give him the daytrana patch so he wouldnt be hyper in the teachers class, I didnt want to because he would lose his appetite but she was so stubborn and insisted so I finally gave in and gave it to him today and now shes saying he was great and calm. But I still dont think its fair, I dont knowif there still going to force me to give him meds in a special ed class or what should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in

• call the the head of the school board...call the district office and ask to talk to the superintendent and complain...you do have rights!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:53 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• A Principal has no right to tell you what to do for your son. She is not medically qualified first off and unless your child is causing a great disturbense she cant do anything at all! I believe legally she could get in trouble for trying to give you medical advise! As for the speech theraphy Is there a way to schedule for after school hours? Also look in to another school. My bf son got to go to a public school for kids w adhd or autism or worse. Only 4 kids per teacher and its done wonders. I dnt know the name of the type of school but look into your options!
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 12:54 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• The principal has no say in what you decide for your child. She should be willing to work with you to get your child what is needed. She has no power to tell you what you can or cannot do. If she persists take it up with the school board.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 12:55 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would never ever listen to any one at school telling me what my child needs or doesn't need. You are the parent do not let them tell you your son needs meds or can leave for his speech therapy. You know whats best for him. Dont ask just tell her.
    calilove33

Answer by calilove33 at 12:56 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Wow, seriously unsupportive. I don't know where you are living. Where I am if the admin and or teachers are like that we can go above them to the school board-obviously you make a concerted effort within the school first. Would a "Dr's Note" or anything like that help to show it as "necessary" or best?? "That he will learn from the other kids" with regards to that last hour seems to show a lack of understanding, as does heaps of praise for a medicated child. Do you have a center of any kind that refers you to services? My mom worked in one and was great about helping people advocate for their kids, and find the services avail to them. We are up in Canada, so if you are in the US, while it works differently...you can usually get similar results. Personally I suggest to stick to what you think is best for your son, try to get them on board, but regardles -- politely, but firmly follow that plan. best of luck!
    mamatrip

Answer by mamatrip at 12:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• They Can't force you to give him meds!! Tell her no... when she has given birth to him she can medicate him. Medicating your child is between you and your doc!!! Then tell her that you, her and the superintendent of schools need to have a sit down chat to discuss your child OT & Speech therapy. There is NO reason they should deny him the medical attention he needs. In the HS I work in we always allow student to go to docs. or therapies without penalty. Sit her down with the super and don't give in!!! Good luck Mom!! Stand strong!!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• The principal does not have the authority to decide what therapy is right for your child!!! I would call the School Board and talk with the superintendent. I would also get a note from his therapist saying that he needs this therapy and what time it starts. Don't let them push you around Hon. You are his MOM!!
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• What's it to her? TAke him out at 2 if you need to. Screw her! She does not have the final say in your child's future. Well...actually technically she does but that's when you sue her.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:07 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• WOW! This is NOT a good beginning to your child's education! I don't know where you live, but in California there is a document called an IEP (Individual Education Plan) that must be filed for any child receiving any special services. This is a plan worked out specifically between you, the teachers at your child's school, and anyone else you deem necessary (doctors, therapists, etc.). This binds the school to providing the most appropriate education for your child. Talk to your child's occupational and speech therapists about this first. It's very likely they know the drill for where you live. I'd give this Principal one more chance after you have all your facts straight and can present them to her. Recommending drugs for a child she doesn't know is VERY inappropriate but give her the benefit of the doubt, ONCE. Remember that you are your child's advocate and must present yourself calmly to be heard. Good Luck!
    ReadingMama2

Answer by ReadingMama2 at 4:21 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't think they can't allow you to take him out they just prefer you try and make your appointments for after school is out but they know sometimes things can't be avoided. If that were me and she wouldn't let me I'd be talking to everyone I could school board superindentent and if it happened the next time he wouldn't be going to school that day
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2010