Chris Mathews.....you so funny... :)

So for some reason my remote stuck on MSNBC tonight ;) And I caught Chris Mathews. The first segment I caught was about the Mosque at Ground zero on Sept 11th. He spent the entire segment pointing out that the ground was public ground and that for NO REASON should the mosque be being built there.

ok...fast forward through the commercials and he comes RIGHT back with a segment on Glenn Beck giving a rally/speech thingy on the steps of the Lincoln memorial on the day of MLK jrs I have dream speech. He is PISSED about it. Says THAT is a sacred day and sacred ground...ummmm what?

His OWN MSNBC commentator and political science proff POINTED OUT the hypocrisy in that and he just "eeehed" her off.

So...what do you think? Do you care if GB has a rally in DC that day? Is it sacred but ground zero area not? or vice versa?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 12:55 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Is it on the day of? or the day after... I thought it was the day after..

As far as I can see, fair's fair. Right to peaceably assemble goes both ways.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Or is that liquor store across the bridge from the Vatican sacred ground too?

Why would that be wrong? Where would the visiting alcoholic priests get their liquor?

And Chris Mathews is a total idiot. After all,he almost forgot Obama was black once.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• What is this whole "sacred ground" argument everyone seems to be having? One person (or group of people) can't decide which areas of the country are hands off. Public property is open to the public, equal access. Private property is private, the owner decides what to do with it. It's really not that hard to understand.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Considering there is no mosque being built on ground zero, rather a community center going into a Burlington Coat Factory a quarter mile away from ground zero, I really don't see the comparison. Or is that liquor store across the bridge from the Vatican sacred ground too?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:30 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't have a problem with any idiot holding a rally there - it's that whole freedom of speech thing. I can't complain about it just because it's Glen Beck or next time it could be someone complaining about someone who actually matters.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:45 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have to say, personally, I don't care about either event. I do not live in NY and I do not visit any mosques. I do not listen to GB and I won't be going to his speech. I think the problem is that a lot of people emotionalize things like the mosque and even GB giving a speech and don't realize that they are showing their double standards. This is why I try to never emotionalize anything political. But even when I have a strong belief in my own opinion, I can completely understand and grasp that someone else out there feels exactly the opposite as I do and I respect that - no matter how much I disagree.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:11 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Crap...that should say there is NO REASON that the Mosqu SHOULDNT be built there!
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 1:00 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think GB's rally is tacky in the extreme, but he has every right to hold it when and where he wants, provided he's got the proper permits.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 1:11 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• DEpley..ok. Do you think that the Mosque being built there is tacky too? But legally its ok to be built there?
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 1:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It's 2 completely different things. I'll admit, I haven't watched Chris Matthews yet today (or yesterday), I have them DVR'd though, but that's beside the point. The Lincoln Memorial is a national landmark preserving one of the most relevant U.S. President's to have ever lived. The other? A truly sad, unfortunate reminder of the consequences of America's arrogance and intolerance of others. I LOVE living in the U.S.A.! I LOVE that people have freedom of speech, freedom of religion and with that unfortunately comes the freedom to be unaware and narrow-minded.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 1:38 AM on Aug. 26, 2010