Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

How do we change our child from a school to another school?

The administration people there are very rude and dont seem to understand he needs his speech therapy plus they keep on wanting me to drug him up with meds that will keep him like a zombie, What should I do, I really want to change him schools but don't know how or what reason can I give, cause I know they just go by the addresses. Every morning I get there to take my son to school the rude asst principal has to complain about something to me and she hires her voice and gives me attitde I think she still sees me as her little girl student just cause she was my teacher in 7th grade but i'm already a 26 yr old woman and she should take me serious and understand me but she loves to malipulate me and boss me around and I dont like that, especially that she wants my son drugged up and she doesnt want me to put him in a higchair anymore even though hes still my baby and my only son and he eats better on a highchair at home.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in

Answers (11)
  • I would go directly to the school board. If that doesn't help then I would home-school or private school or whatever it takes. I know what you mean about teachers and principals thinking they know it all. Your his mama and if you don't put your foot down no one else will.

    Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:59 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • I think you told this woman too much. See a professional doctor and don't tell him a thing until after he signs those papers with his own conclusions.

    Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 1:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • I'm lost. Is this a public school What is your kids age? The school can make reccomendations but you're the parent. You shouldn't take things so personaly when they speak to you about your child. If your child is receiving special education then speak with your special education director at the school district level.

    Answer by Steffy1099 at 1:04 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • There are times when teachers will challenge a child that we as parents, protect-sometimes a bit more than we need to. Obviously I have NO idea if this would be the case with you! BUT, while we can listen to their suggestions, it is ultimately up to US to decide what is BEST for OUR children. ADVOCATE for him! There are all kinds of reasons to change schools, it is easier to drop him/her off on the way to work, child care is set up over "there", if the requested school is full, you may not get in, but if this admin is as unsupportive as it sounds, go to the Board, go to the special needs teacher/support person at the board and ask how to make this work for your son.

    Answer by mamatrip at 1:05 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • Go to the school board immediately! Some districts now allow you to choose your school and it doesn't have to go by addresses.

    Answer by Memigen at 10:10 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • It's probably easier than you realize to change schools.

    Answer by sherribeare at 1:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • OP-- You need to approach the school with the attitude that YOU are an advocate for your child! That said, you need to secure a physician's diagnosis that states your child has a speech delay as the result of ______. Then you need to contact the district administration office, and state that you would like to arrange a IEP (Individualized Education Plan) meeting (sometimes called "504's" or SDI's (Specially Designed Instruction).

    You cannot just "demand" something be done! You need to go through the proper channels...pediatrician, evaluation by specialist(s), diagnosis, and reports by the specialists, IEP meetings (plural) and follow-ups as to what your child's needs/wants are when it comes to his education! There is a process that you need to become familiar with, and you HAVE to do the legwork and jump through hoops to make it happen!

    You also need to put petty differences aside and focus on WHAT your child needs!

    Answer by LoriKeet at 4:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • And one other thing schools CANNOT "demand" or force you to medicate your child! Regardless of your child's issues, you need to work with the school (teachers, administrators, school psychologists, etc.) to develop an appropriate behavior modification plan that includes acceptable rewards and repercussions depending on the behavior.

    IF your child is unable to follow the behavior modification plan, and his behavior negatively affects OTHER students, then a meeting would be held by administrators as to whether your child needs to move into a special school, program, or classroom that is better suited to address his issues--whatever they may be!

    I am speaking both as a special education teacher AND a mother of two special needs children. Trust me....I KNOW!! :o)

    Answer by LoriKeet at 4:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • You have to go to the school board and request permission to switch schools. Especially if you are going out of school district.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • around my area, you just request a switch at the local school office...

    Answer by asil at 7:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.