Is there any medical reason to get a cat spayed?

I have a 1 yr old cat and she comes in heat some, its not that bad. At least not YET and I was wondering if spaying a cat is helpful to their health at all? She's indoors and always will be and there wont ever be another kitty in the house so do I HAVE to get her fixed? I don't want kittens either.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 1:57 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Pets

• it makes them happier because they really are uncomfortable when they're in heat because they need a guy cat.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:18 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It prevents cats from going into heat.
    It prevents cats from getting pregnant.
    It significantly helps prevent cats from get breast cancer later in life.
    It prevents cats from getting uterine infections later in life.

In addition to these medical reasons, it prevents unwanted pregnancies, a significant problem in our society. Millions of cats are euthanized every year because they are strays.

So, I'd say definitely for the cat and for the unwanted kittens that need to be taken care of medically as well.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:19 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would get her spayed because you never know when someone might accidentally let her out and she could come home pregnant. Plus a cat in heat is awful! My cousins cat would yowl for a whole week! it would rub itself on her dh's dirty clothes, it would (NO JOKE) back her behind up to your leg or foot, I know she did this to me once! it freaked me out!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:40 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• lol yeah I guess I don't want a pregnant daughter(kitty) coming home with no support from the baby's daddy lol
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 2:49 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Do her a favor and get her spayed. You'll all be happier.
    ReadingMama2

Answer by ReadingMama2 at 3:49 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• The longer she goes unspayed the chances of her getting mammory cancer increases. One of my cats just went through this because she was a stray and spayed at about 2 years of age. We had to have the tumor removed and now have to keep a close eye on her for more. Plus indoor cats can get out and the last thing the shelters need is more cats.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Doesn't sound like you are a responsible pet owner. It's a shame. : (
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 4:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• if its a indoor kitty for comforts sake my cat is unspayed and im keeping it that way .. i dont think the ability to bear offspring should b taken from any living thing .. im not god so im not doing it .. in the end its a choice you make and u shouldent b looked down on 4 it either and ppl have no right to say someone is an irresponsible pet ouner that is disrespectful! each person makes a choice for they're pets
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• At least she is here asking.

It is good to get them fixed. I volunteer at a shelter and we have many cats. It is really rough watching so many come in from the streets. :( At least we have a no kill shelter here but some of those cats are there for months. So sad
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Ok Sara.Robyson? I've been around cats my entire life both outside and indoors. I AM a responsible pet owner. She is indoors and there is 0% chance of her getting out of the house because of the way my house is set up, ok? 0. And you really shouldn't come on here and try to bad-mouth me in what is supposed to be helpful answers for me. That's not what this is for so if you have nothing nice to say then don't say it at all.
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 2:03 AM on Aug. 29, 2010