Church Library Budget?

I'm the new church librarian (and the only one since 10+ years ago) but the church has never set aside a budget for the library and its needs. What would be a reasonable amount to allot for the library? It only contains about 100 books, a few videos, and that's about it. I am looking to improve the current library by expanding, organizing, cataloging, and more. Any advice is welcome and most appreciated!

algolden05

Asked by algolden05 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would think the the library budget should be in line with what the church classes are planning to be for each year..... plus additional study resources as approved by the church.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Hi. I"m a public ibrarian but used to work as a librarian at a non-profit. We had around 5,000 books and had a budget of $2,000. Most of our books/AV came from donations. Our largest expense was the initial purchase of an online catalog (we used Athena). This is pretty necessary if you plan on cataloging books, issuing library cards, or keeping records of things. I would say that your initial budget should include at least enough to purcase an ILS system, after that, you won't need too much per year. Consider putting together a library committee to help you raise funds, attend book drives, etc. Put the word out that you are looking for donations (let people know if there are specific items you'd like, otherwise you'll get all kinds of useless stuff).
    Anonymous