I have a 2(almost 2 and a hlaf) year old that won't eat dinner unless it's what he wants. Should we start to "Make" him eat his dinner, or wait until he's a little older?

samandtorimom

Asked by samandtorimom at 4:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son does the same, he learned that he eats whats there or nothing at all, he will understand if he doesnt get dinner that night, my son has skipped dinner b4 cause he refused to eat what we were having, yes the next day he ate like a pig but he learned eat something or nothing at all...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 4:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• my kids are 14 months and 28months old... I make one dinner. If it's not something they want they don't, but they don't get anything else either. When they are hungry enough they eat what's on their plates.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• You can't force a kid to eat. My 3 year old does that too. He eats all his other meals so I don't worry too much.
    Lainee21106

Answer by Lainee21106 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have a 5 year old that I still go through this with and a 2 year old that just started this. I asked the Dr. about it and he said he wouldn't make them eat because it turns dinner time into something they won't want to participate in. So, with my 2 year old we usually try to think of fun ways to get her to eat. Sometimes just asking her if she can take a bite at the same time mommy takes a bite works... and then daddy, and sissy and so on. Also, kids will eat when they are hungry... so we do what we can to make them want to eat but if they don't then they can wait until the next meal. Good luck!
    Kerri_05

Answer by Kerri_05 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Tell him he has two choices:-) Either he eats what you fixed or he doesn't--end of story and go with the above posts:-)
    Anonymous

• My daughter is only 15months and already doing that. So if she doesnt eat what i cooked her, then she will go to bed without dinner.

Do not force your child to eat if it doesnt want the food. Your child will hate the dinner/lunch/breakfast - time. This could cause eating disorders.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Agree with above posts that I don't force my kids to finish what's on their plates, but if they don't eat a meal they don't get food until the next meal. 2 1/2 is old enough to get that. My youngest is just over 2 and knows that he isn't getting snacks/desserts if he doesn't eat meals.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• my 2 yr old does it too. he wont eat breakfast most mornings he eats a good luch but then for dinner i have a hard time.

i have learned that he will sometimes eat it if i feed it to him if you are that worried try that. then if he still wont eat then he dont get anything else.
    Anonymous

• I'm not a short order cook (unless its leftover night) so I make one dinner for everyone! Why? Because if my 5 yr old decides if he's not going to eat "that", then my 7 yr old will decide she wants something else too! I have 6 people to feed, I'm pregnant and I work all day! Eat what I put in front of you, or you don't get a bed-time snack!
    daisies7997

Answer by daisies7997 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• my DD has always prefered breakfast and everything else is so not important to her - they wont starve themselves -
    try peanut butter and apple slices - this will give him protein, fats, and sugars in one sitting and he will think its a snack and once his body adjusts to eating at that time of day start gradually switching him to what you made for dinner-
    i personally wouldnt want my DD to think she could make me fix 2 separate meals every night
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 4:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2008