At what age can a child decide which parent to live with in a divorce?

I live in pa. Right now I have my boys every other week. My ex remarried and my kids have really had a hard time going with him the past two "pick-ups". I am really struggling with this. I feel like there must be more going on there than they are letting on.

Jennzbunch

Asked by Jennzbunch at 11:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2008 in General Parenting

• This is something they need to work out with their dad. Letting them decide to not see him because they aren't comfortable anymore is not acceptable. They need their dad and need to learn how to work out a new "normal".

I know he has lots on his plate right now but he needs to take time out for them and see a family therapist.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• go to your local probate court house and ask since every state is different, from there they will tell you what to do..and if you think there is more going on then you know please try to find out, talk to your kids and then go from there..my ex's g/f told my youngest there was no way he could be his since my son had blonde hair and my ex who is half polish had dark hair.. my son never went back..and the judge agreed with me that it would be in the best interest of the child to make his own decision, my sons are now pathological liars in my ex's eyes he believes everything his g/f says..so he lost 3 of his sons, only one bothers with him since he lives with him and thats because my ex said he would kill himself if my son left..take care, good luck and god bless
    hellsfury

Answer by hellsfury at 12:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• do you know where monroeville, Pa. is? I believe 12 is the age.
    nineteen

Answer by nineteen at 5:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• i was 5 and i got to decide for myself.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• i think it was 12 or 13
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 12:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2008