Coughing fits for weeks....should I get him checked out?

My 5yo son caught a cold while he was visiting my parents out of state last month. Ever since then he has had a persistent dry cough, oftentimes throwing him into coughing fits where he can barely catch his breath. At first it was only really bad at night, like a normal cough, but now it's all day and night. He hasn't slept a full night in weeks.

I've been giving him honey before he goes to bed and occasionally during the day, but it doesn't really seem to be helping much as it usually does when he is sick with a cough.

The weirdest part is that nobody else has gotten sick. We have 3 girls as well and, as hard as he tries to cover his mouth, he is hacking all over them all day. But none of them have gotten a cough or anything else.

Should I have him checked out? The only things I can think of are asthma or allergies that would trigger this but not cause anyone else to be sick. But then....I'm no doctor.

fluud7

Asked by fluud7 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Health

• If it's that persistent, (longer than a week ) Yes he needs to be seen. With whooping cough making a comeback it's better safe than sorry.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:53 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would take him in. DD had this and they started her on Zyrtek. It's helping. She can come off of it once the first hard frost hits.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:54 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would. My doc always tells me that if the coughing disrupts a good nights sleep it is best to get it checked out.
    smushy79

Answer by smushy79 at 8:55 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i would

rocknrollgirl70

Answer by rocknrollgirl70 at 8:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Sounds like asthma

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:58 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yeah, take the little guy in.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:59 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You should get it checked out. My ds and I both had whooping cough (though it was a long time ago - like over 10 yrs ago). Also, I am currently on the tail end of recovering from a pretty nasty bout of walking pneumonia - and I was the only one in my family who had it. Lots of coughing to the extent you described. I know it sounds weird to be talking about pneumonia in the summer (it's been record breaking heat here), but the Dr was explaining that it's more common than you think, especially because extreme heat can actually weaken your immune system. I've had it before when we lived in FL - there it was something that I got because my allergies were so bad, I ended up with bronchitis that ended up becoming pneumonia.

I would take him in. At the very least, they can give him something to help loosen up what he's trying to cough up, and also provide some relief from the coughing.

Hope he feels better soon!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i would say allergies and its possible he may have an infection too.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:10 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yes definitely take him in, sounds like he may have developed some pneumonia or maybe it's asthma, but any time coughing affects the child's sleep they need to be seen, poor little guy. Good luck.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:11 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It's a virus that's going around. My DD had it and they had me put her on breathing treatments for 2 weeks. It cleared up after about 4 weeks. I've had it now for 3 weeks. It's pretty awful but there isn't much more you can do other than let it run it's course. I would definitely take him in though because, like I said, my DD was so bad they had her on breathing treatments and some of my friends kids have had it so bad they have been put on steroids too. Not to freak you out or anything, but I'd take him in sooner rather than later.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2010