Navy OKs EOD Reality Show

Actors playing troops on TV shows normally get up and dust themselves off after the fake explosions die off and the directors yell "cut." But "Bomb Patrol: Afghanistan" isn't fake; it's a reality show inspired by the movie "The Hurt Locker" and it's about to bring a war that's claimed more than 1,000 American lives into a living room near you -- courtesy of the U.S. Navy and G4, a subsidiary of Comcast and leader in computer gaming.

While the Navy certainly green-lighted the show based on its potential to highlight the courage and skills of dedicated Sailors, it's not likely everyone is going to see it that way.

Cameras and crew will follow a Navy explosive ordnance disposal team from their training in the U.S. to the Afghan theater, G4 said in an announcement. The show is scheduled for the spring TV line-up.

http://www.military.com/news/article/navy-oks-eod-reality-show.html

thoughts?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 9:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I won't watch it.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I'm a Navy vet and a Navy wife. My ds is 17 1/2 and starting his Senior year, and plans to join the Navy when he graduates.

I won't watch it. I respect that the courage and dedication of these troops (and almost all the troops, for that matter), need to be recognized. But, in life, especially when that life is being lived in a combat zone, things happen, and all too often, those things are bad.

I wouldn't want my dh or my ds's death or injury, or the suffering they experience if / when someone close to them is hurt / killed exploited for a sweeps week somewhere. What - a cliff hanger of "Will Seaman Smith survive the blast? Will Petty Officer Jones suffer from PTSD over ordering him in to remove that explosive? Will Chief Brown be able to hold the unit together through it all? Tune in next season to find out!"?!?!

In a "civilian" reality show, you choose to be there.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:21 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• cont

In a "civilian" reality show, you choose to be there. You choose to open yourself, your life, and your loved ones up to public scrutiny. In the military, while you do get some input, you are in the unit you are assigned to, and you deploy where they send you. The members of this unit are there to do a job - defending and serving their country. I wonder how many of them volunteered for this, and how much pressure was put on the ones who didn't want to?

I wouldn't want my loved one's life out there like that, me, sitting at home worried and their situation entertaining people. Or, worse yet, they are hurt or killed and what should be our families private mourning used for ratings and a tv show.

I love and support the Navy, but in this, I am disappointed with their decision.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think this is a terrible move on the part of the Navy.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Hmmm, not sure about that one.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2010