not so excited anymore!

DD will be going to preschool on the 7th. shes been soooo excited about it! but then last night she comes to me and says "mommy i dont wanna go to preschool anymore, and you cant make me" and she said the same exact thing today. anything i can do to convince her? if her attitude stays like this until the 1st day of preschool, it'll be like dressing a little devil.

Mom2Giovanna

Asked by Mom2Giovanna at 9:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son tries to pull that type of stuff. He is 7 though...actually asks if he can stay home for no reason. As if I am gonna let him....lol.

I just make school a HAVE TOO part of the day. There is no choice. Once they understand that there is no pick and choose school days and that it is mandatory...it becomes that way to them too...

Know what I mean.

she is probably afraid since the day is getting closer and she is unsure....she has never done it before, right?

Let her see how excited and happy you are about her school... keep supporting her and within a week...she will love it!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:19 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Ask her why she doesn't want to go. She may be nervous and scared and you can help her allay her fears by giving her information. Also, if it's possible for you to take her to the pre-school and show her around before she officially goes, that may help her to realize that it's not a scary place.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:20 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Maybe just talk to her about all the super fun things she'll be missing out on if she doesn't go?
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Tell her is is natural to wonder about new experiences, this will validate her feelings. Then ask her what worries her about the school experience. Tell her that when she comes home from school that you'll be wanting to hear all about it- this will assure her that you will be at home waiting for her.

Answer by Bmat at 9:40 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• The 7th is along ways away for a child. To long for her to worry. I would just drop it for now unless she brings it up and then be very positive tell her she will PLAY and learn. Keep the play word very excited. There is plenty of time to concentrate on the learning aspect. For now keep "PLAY" in the picture. The day of school get her dressed and out the door when your almost to school get really excited and tell her its time for her to play and learn! Be very positive and be prepared for tears. Or as my daughter did on the first day turned around and said "you can go now mom"...........I cried all the way out to the car.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My son starts preschool on Monday and he's been really excited too up until the past couple days. He is just nervous, he doesn't know what to expect from what I understand. I've asked him why he doesn't want to go and he says he doesn't know, he just doesn't want to go. I predict that when he gets to his preschool and sees all the other kids having fun he'll feel more comfortable. It's something new and out of their territory, it's a little nerve-wracking. Kind of like starting a new job for you. I would just not bring it up to her, and if she mentions it, don't act like it's a big deal. And maybe the night before remind her she'll be going to learn and play with lots of others kids that she can make friends with and have fun. Make sure she understands school should be fun, it's fun for her to learn and play and make new friends =)
    mishmashmom

Answer by mishmashmom at 11:43 AM on Aug. 26, 2010